What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why Didnt We Hear About This Before ?

kz11gr

Hi

origin
: http://stresstopower.com/blog/2009/04/17/why-didnt-we-know-about-this/

I learned about the Russian memorial to the victims of 9/11 (and of the 1993 bombing of the World Trade Center)
from a post by Conrad Hake.

teardrop-monument.jpg

The monument is officially named To the Struggle Against World Terrorism, but it is also known as the Tear of Grief or Teardrop Monument.Conrad’s post shows pictures of the memorial that have been going around the internet with the sentiment I never knew about this before. Why wasn’t it covered by the media?
I spent a lot of time this week pondering that question and poking around to see if I could find the answer.

I think the simple answer is it was built in an industrial area of Bayonne, New Jersey. Bayonne was chosen because

• it had been an arrival point for many of the 9/11 evacuees,
  • It had been a staging area for the rescue efforts, and
  • It offered a good view of the Statue of Liberty and of the former World Trade Center site.
The monument was erected for the fifth anniversary of 9/11, and I find it very attractive.
​But understandably, the news of the anniversary was mostly focused on New York.
Even more importantly, it appears the memorial wasn’t open to the general public at that time. According to the Bayonne Local Redevelopment Authority
The Memorial was dedicated on the fifth anniversary of 9/11, in a ceremony attended by President Bill Clinton, Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Michael Chertoff, Governor Jon Corzine, Senator Frank Lautenberg, Senator Robert Menendez and family members of World Trade Center victims. Grammy award winner, Leann Rimes, sang the National Anthem.
Harbor View Park, where the monument is located, was not officially opened until October 23.

Location, Location, Location
But why haven’t more people become aware of the memorial since the park has been opened? My guess is it’s the old saying, “Location, location, location!” It’s not easy to get there by car, and it is in an industrial area.
This picture shows the view of the monument looking away from the harbor:

As it turns out the mural is painted on the back wall of the Bayonne Drydock & Repair Corporation building.
Notice the monument on the right.

dry-dock-and-repair.jpg

The relative location of the two buildings can be seen clearly. Notice the ship being repaired and the ample parking space for the monument.
This picture shows more of the industrial area and why the monument is not easy to get to by car. Visitors to the site have written that the way is not well-marked, and there doesn’t seem to have been much effort to advertise it to road travelers.
On the other hand, some cruise ships seem to know about it. This picture shows one next to the memorial:

cruise-ship1.jpg

The home port for some of the Royal Carribean Cruises is close to the monument. So presumably some people are becoming aware that the monument exists. Notice also the two buses in the parking lot in the above picture. Maybe that means some bus tours are including the memorial?

The area is scheduled for redevelopment so things could change for automobile tourists in the future.

So Why Didn’t We Hear About This Before?

Because we never took a cruise from Bayonne.
icon_wink.gif