What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why some members can't find what they want on Googe, Internet filter bubbles

Yep,and most scary of all, who or what ever it is that truly runs the country, or ,determines how they want society to be, has been doing the same thing since the advent of mass communication. He who controls information,rules the world....

Id also like to add, another bubble Ive stumbled upon. Recently while spending some time at a friend of mines house,watching a game on tv, a commercial came on,a car commercial from a high end BMW dealer on the west side of town. I remarked that Id never seen a commercial for this particular car dealership,if it was new,and of course commented on the advertised modle of car. Then a thought occured to me, my house is located on the east side,a working class, middle class neighborhood. While my friends house was located on the west side,a newer more affluent neighborhood. I get pleanty of commercials about McDonalds,the Chevy and ford dealers, Credit institutions etc etc. And while at my buddies house on the west side, commercials about restaraunts, travle agencies, jewlers,,,,,,,you get the point. Im pretty convinced now,with the new "digital" tv technology,they have the ability to manipulate what areas of town see what commercials. But why???

Last edited:
I use BING, but assume they are doing the same. Now I'm scared to type in "goat".

Lou,

If you think the car commercial thing is bad, imagine all the other places doing it. Victoria's secret has at least 3 different catalogs. They send the ones with the highest prices to the rich neighborhoods, and the lower priced stuff to the lower income ones.

Rick,what ever you do,dont type in goat.You dont want to see it,Im telling you.

John, no wonder VS catalog has been so lame lately,,,,,The rich get lace and silk and the poor get,polyester granny panties....

I don't think that it is the fault of Google, or Bing, or Victoria's Secret. We are getting lazy is all. People expect Google to hand them the info that they are looking for, without having to work for it. This is why fourth rate information services like Wikipedia flourish; people are too lazy to go beyond the first page of sites that come up to search for actual sources of information. Don't blame Google, they are a business, the same as the car dealers and such. Why waste your advertising dollars on people that are not going to buy your product anyway? My experience has been that most of the people that can't find information did a poor job of looking.

Id agree with that. And Id also say its,as with everything else in life,a little bit of both/all arguments. I understand the coporate way,better/faster/make more money. And Im sure those that are in charge are only doing what they think is best for us all,since alot of people do expect to be givin "what ever" with out doing much to earn it,,which in turn is something that seems to be ok with them,since they are steering the ship,so to speak. But I do find it uncomfortable to be "steered".

With they way things are today,Google,Yahoo,FaceBook,Twitter this,Blog that,, etc etc,and the flocking of the masses to those places,,Id be willing to bet poor ol George Orwell is turning over in his grave as we speak,,,,,

I agree with what Jeff has said too. It is a perfected skill that is required to key in the proper words in Google to find what you what you are looking for. Key in the wrong words and get crap or nothing.

Any software development incurs a cost. The companies which give out 'free' software must be recouping that cost elsewhere. Whenever you use search engines, free toolbars etc, some information about your browsing habits is recorded. This information is used to define the advertisements delivered to your computer system. The facility to direct advertising to people who have shown an interest in the category of item advertised, is sold to the suppliers of said items, and this is where the money is made to provide the free software. Essentially you are doing the market research for the company and the software provider is being paid for getting you to do that.

Personally I always set the cookies to the 'ask me' setting and won't allow any I can't recognise. I also uninstall any add-ons and toolbars which I have not specifically installed myself, block any pop-ups and regularly clear my browsing cache. This keeps me away from the advertising to a large degree.