What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wooden Dummy Rounds?

Darren

Small arms ammunition is not really my thing but these arrived today amongst some other stuff that i had bought. These rounds have bullets made from wood, would i be right in thinking that these were dummy/training rounds of some sort?

Any other info on these would be great

Thanks,
Darren

Attachments

• 001 (1851 x 2448).jpg
    001 (1851 x 2448).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 44
  • 002 (3264 x 1749).jpg
    002 (3264 x 1749).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 32
  • 003 (2796 x 2098).jpg
    003 (2796 x 2098).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 36
  • 004 (3264 x 2012).jpg
    004 (3264 x 2012).jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 005 (3142 x 1328).jpg
    005 (3142 x 1328).jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 006 (3184 x 589).jpg
    006 (3184 x 589).jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 26
Wood bullets

These are British .303 Dummy Drill Mark III and as you can see from the headstamps, are of WWI vintage.

These were originally introduced in 1903 with natural coloured boxwood bullets and tinned cases with no holes. In 1905 it was ordered that four holes be drilled in the case for better identification and that new production would no longer be tinned. In 1907 it was ordered that the bullets should be dyed red.

When the Ball Mark VII with a pointed bullet was introduced in 1910 a new dummy drill round with a pointed wood bullet was introduced as the Mark IV, but it was found to be too fragile so production reverted to the round nosed Mark III. Later in the war the all metal Mark V and VI drill rounds were introduced.

Originally the headstamps were cancelled but often during WWI this was omitted.

Picture shows Drill Mark IV, V and two experimental Mark VI.

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Drill2.jpg
    Drill2.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 28
These are British .303 Dummy Drill Mark III and as you can see from the headstamps, are of WWI vintage.

These were originally introduced in 1903 with natural coloured boxwood bullets and tinned cases with no holes. In 1905 it was ordered that four holes be drilled in the case for better identification and that new production would no longer be tinned. In 1907 it was ordered that the bullets should be dyed red.

When the Ball Mark VII with a pointed bullet was introduced in 1910 a new dummy drill round with a pointed wood bullet was introduced as the Mark IV, but it was found to be too fragile so production reverted to the round nosed Mark III. Later in the war the all metal Mark V and VI drill rounds were introduced.

Originally the headstamps were cancelled but often during WWI this was omitted.

Picture shows Drill Mark IV, V and two experimental Mark VI.

Regards
TonyE

Thanks for the detailed info Tony thats great, vey interesting too.

Darren

Tony,
I have a 30-06 round with a red painted wooden tip that has the 4 holes drilled through that you mention. I was told by someone a long time ago, that the holes were for tacking the rounds to a training board. Is there any truth in this?

.30-06

I am afraid not. The holes are there to make the drill round easy to identify so that a live round is not inadvertently loaded.

Incidentally, the round you have probably has an American headstamp, FA or similar, and is a British drill round for issue principally to the Home Guard.

Regards
TonyE

Wooden bullets.

Hello Darren,
These are the only wooden projectiles I've seen. They were blank training rounds for use with the Bren. The wooden projectile was powerful enough to operate the gas system so the Bren could be used on full auto, and the wooden projectile would be shredded by the rifling for safety reasons during exercises. I would still not like to be on the receiving end in case a round didn't disintegrate!
Cheers,
navyman.

Attachments

• Bren blanks 2a.jpg
    Bren blanks 2a.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 27
I am afraid not. The holes are there to make the drill round easy to identify so that a live round is not inadvertently loaded.

Incidentally, the round you have probably has an American headstamp, FA or similar, and is a British drill round for issue principally to the Home Guard.

Regards
TonyE

Cheers for the info. I did doubt this explanation a little, but never really bothered to look into it as I don't really collect small rounds

Hello Darren,
These are the only wooden projectiles I've seen. They were blank training rounds for use with the Bren. The wooden projectile was powerful enough to operate the gas system so the Bren could be used on full auto, and the wooden projectile would be shredded by the rifling for safety reasons during exercises. I would still not like to be on the receiving end in case a round didn't disintegrate!
Cheers,
navyman.

Thanks for the info Navyman.

Darren

Cheers for the info. I did doubt this explanation a little, but never really bothered to look into it as I don't really collect small rounds

Would you like to sell them to someone who does collect small arms ammo and would love and cherish them ;-)

Rich.