What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World War 1 Ordnance

Encom

These are items that my Grandfather brought back from France after WW1.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

This one is a mystery to me . He said that it was a "message bomb" that was used to send papers.Looking at the carrier inside it , my first thought was a chemical weapon.Unless that carrier was what held the explosive?Anyway , Ive always been curious about this one.

Last edited:
WWI German 7.62mm Minenwerfer

This is indeed a message carrying round for the German light Minenwerfer. The message was folded up in the threaded cap at the bottom of the inner cylinder. There was a flare compound in the body of the inner cylinder which burned purple (I think) to make it easier to find. These were launched by the German front line mortar crews to the rear lines to get an emergency message through. How effective they were with all of the confusion of a raging battle is not known, seems to me that small purple flare probably went un-noticed more often than not. Nice item.

message in a Minenwerfer projectile

Yes, extremely nice item. German WW1 Minenwerfer items are highly desireable. and it is in nice condition too. Good photos. Just missing top to fuze....Dano