What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worlds ugliest mills grenade

Fragman

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Hi. At the start of WW2 New Zealand had very little by way of military equipment. This led to the development of an incredibly functional (and ugly) rifle grenade. As can be seen in the photo, these grenades were also used for throwing practice. Whilst the design is very basic, the fabrication is worse. For obvious reasons not many of these have been kept, making them a difficult item to find. Cheers

Last edited:
Hi Paul, Hmmmm they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but even when it’s in your hand it’s an ugly little sucker. I can take as many photo's as you like, just let me know what angle you want them taken from. Cheers

Hi Colin.
A view from the top would be fine.
Was there a live version of this grenade? And if so what sort of fuze did it use?
Cheers, Paul.

Hi, I’ll drag the drill grenade out tomorrow and photograph the top. It is solid and designed for practice with the discharger cup. The photo’s attached show the only three HE NZ designed grenades from WW2 that I am aware of. All three of these types were made in reasonable numbers. It could be argued that the ringed Mills closely resembles the drill grenade, but I doubt there was any linkage between the two. The stick and jam jar grenades were made for the home guard. Enjoy

Attachments

• 1 HG for BOCN.jpg
    1 HG for BOCN.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 1 home guard for BOCN.jpg
    1 home guard for BOCN.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 76
  • 1 NZ mills for BOCN.jpg
    1 NZ mills for BOCN.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 72
Hi, Glad you found the post of some interest. Here's a view of the top. Cheers

Attachments