What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Worth more than money

SG500

Premium Member
I'm sure all of you have got things in your collections that you'd never sell.

One of my Grandfathers didn't come back from the war but a small amount of his stuff was returned to my Nan including this clip of 5 bullets which she kept on the mantle shelf over the fire place for many years until a helpful friend pointed out they were live :tinysmile_eyebrow_t. The helpful friend took them away, squashed the bullets (lead filled), cracked the case necks and punched the primers so now they're all safe........ and ruined :tinysmile_angry2_t: but..........they're still the last thing I'd get rid of. Family history at its best. They are what got me into collecting all those years ago.
Have any of you guys got similar things/stories?
Dave.

IMG_4559.jpgIMG_4560.jpgIMG_4561.jpgIMG_4562.jpg

Momentos from your Grandfather are indeed worth more than money.

It's too bad that the "helpful friend" did not know anything about cartridges. In there original condition they were no more dangerous than the petrol in your auto's gas tank, and, far less dangerous than driving the auto on any public street.

Nice bit of family history you have there .:).When i was about 4 or 5 years old i looked in the sideboard cabinet and found a .303 drill round with red paint markings and copper bullet . . Was the most amazing thing i had . . And from the moment it was given to me i had an undying interest in all things relating to it.wasnt untill a split with my now ex that it was lost for ever :(

My grandfather used to be in the airforce and once he retired he had quite a few shells he had from planes and such. He also had a dozen or so rifles and pistols. He died before I was even born but I was at my grandmothers house when I was about 10-11 clearing out her house as she was downsizing. I moved a bunch of old paint cans out of the way and I found atleast 40-50 empty shells. I asked my grandmother for a few and she said yes. So I kept them and have them still. But later once I went back home I wondered what happened to all the shells and she said she recycled them. Out of the 40-50 I saw I only took 4. Such a shame.

My grandfather used to be in the airforce and once he retired he had quite a few shells he had from planes and such. He also had a dozen or so rifles and pistols. He died before I was even born but I was at my grandmothers house when I was about 10-11 clearing out her house as she was downsizing. I moved a bunch of old paint cans out of the way and I found atleast 40-50 empty shells. I asked my grandmother for a few and she said yes. So I kept them and have them still. But later once I went back home I wondered what happened to all the shells and she said she recycled them. Out of the 40-50 I saw I only took 4. Such a shame.

Thanks, always a difficult situation as one doesn't want to seem greedy at the time. Some of the best finds come out of garden sheds where they have been safe for years.
What type of shell cases did you end up keeping?
Dave.