What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

wots this then?

smle2009

Hi All, picked this up the other day,would guess that it is a blank/ simulator of some kind and not an ignighter as it came from a 'dry' area of the training ground,it is plastic and seems to be electricaly ignighted.
Is marked Cart FBSS L1A1 CA 05/01 022.
Can anyone throw any light as to what it is used in/for?
Cheers
Tony

Attachments

• PC200020.JPG
    PC200020.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 137
  • PC200021.JPG
    PC200021.JPG
    36.6 KB · Views: 105
  • PC200022.JPG
    PC200022.JPG
    32.3 KB · Views: 97
Flash Bang Smoke Simulator (FBSS) L1a1
The cartridge is placed in the MGSS, LAWES or MILANWES and initiated by
command. The electrical current initiates the primer which initiates the flash bang smoke composition. The pressure build-up, disrupts the cap of the cartridge at the predetermined breaking point producing a flash, bang and smoke effect. The cartridge is not ejected, but there is a 5 m danger area to the front on initiation.

many thanks Spotter,found this one in 'practice buildings' so the 5m danger area must have been fun,or not!
Cheers
Tony

Here you are smle ,not the best cuts ill finish them properly when its a bit warmer outside,but gives you the basic make up of these.

Attachments

• P1000197.jpg
    P1000197.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 115
Very nice Spotter, nice to see them in the flesh,will keep my eye out for other small bits that may intrest you,still stuck indoors at the mo and have cabin fever!
Cheers
Tony

know what you mean weve been stood down since 5th of january because cant get onto our current task because of the snow,its driving me nuts been at home,hopefully be able to get back on monday

L1a1

Smle2009,

Attached is a drawing of L1A1 simulator.

Regards,

Chris

Attachments

• L1A1.jpg
    L1A1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 49
Last edited by a moderator:
Many thanks Chris,and also thank you for compliment on not bad Dutch in the earlier post, had Dutch girlfriend many moons ago(from Bergijk,Noord Brabant) so picked up a bit of Dutch from her including some I should not have!
Cheers
Tony

MGSS used in GB?

The cartridge is placed in the MGSS, ...

Is the MGSS in service with the British military? I know it from the US, but have not heard anything from GB.
mgss.jpg

The FBSS L1A1 is listed ... states its in use with the British Army but I cannot see any listing for it in current records.

An earlier post identifies the LAWES and MILANWES. These are IMHO in use with the British forces. They are using an L1A1 cartridge to simulate the launch of the rockets.

I know the MGSS (Main Gun Shot Simulator) is fielded in the USA. It is the simulator that fires M30 and M31 DIFCUE cartridges (same supplier - Chemring DS).

The L1A1 would fit in the MGSS launcher but I have not seen any MGSS used in GB. Most likely use would be on Salisbury Plain.

Last edited: