What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would like more info on case

morser124

base stamps.jpgIMG_0229.JPGIMG_0233.JPG

Hi folks
I have this large brass case, its around 44 inches in length and its 6 inchs at the mouth.
I think its russian and naval, But thats all i know.
Ive posted 3 pictures (above) of the base stamps.
any more info would be appreciated.
Thankyou very much

I would agree that it has some Russian heritage, I can read two of the words around the primer, the first being Alexandrov and the third the Russian word for factory (zavod). Could you confirm the measurements as there is a 15cm naval gun, case length 1095mm and rim 182mm. In my records this is known as the 15cm Obuchoff. Could you confirm what is printed above the M, I think that it is 98 with a Russian G, which would indicated a date of 1898.

Last edited:
Good evening and thankyou for the information.
Ive got the measurements as 1110mm case length and the rim as 185mm. Above the M is definitely a 98 .

Thanks once again

I am convinced that you have a case from a Russian gun, try the website on Finish weapons and look under heavy coastal artillery. There are a number of different case lengths for these guns. Your case may have come from Finland as these guns continued in use for many years. Jaeger platoon.net, an excellent reference site.

Last edited:
I had a quick look on the internet, the Alexandrovsky iron foundry was established in 1773 to make guns for the Russian military. The factory is near Petrozavodsk North of St Petersburg and was occupied between 1941 and 1944 by Finland. I would suspect that your case started life in this area.

I looked on that site you mentioned and i think it may have been fired in the 152/45c coastal gun. Also am i right in thinking that Roman numerals where used on naval cases as the month?, so would my case possibly of been part of surplus cases used in the costal gun? Whats also strange is that the Roman numerals on my case say 14.

Thankyou for the help.