What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WRA Co. New No.4 - Anyone know about these?

3pinplug

Hi All
Found the item in the photos when out metal detecting on a beach today, the area was extensively used by the Miliatary for a long period.
Only ID is "WRA New NO.4" written around the brass firing ring. It is approx just over 1.5" in diameter and made from a silverish very light metal.
Have searched internet but very little info came to light, also intersted in what would have FIRED an item of this size if anyone knows?

Apologies for poor photos didgital camera broken so have had to use mobile phone camera.

Thanks

Mark

Attachments

• wra1.jpg
    wra1.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 36
  • wra2.jpg
    wra2.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 44
WRA - Winchester Repeatings Arms - so American
I think it might be the bottom of a mortar round propelling cartridge (very similar to a shotgun cart without the shot). With that diameter though it would have been a big round I think!!
Material sounds like alluminium or magnesium alloy, but surprised still in such good cond if found on a beach as both metals very reactive to sea water.
Surprised you didn`t find any other items like mortar fins etc - which would support my theory!!

Hi, With that diameter it it could be the base to a flare cartridge but there are normally brass
Andy

Hi Guys,

Definitely think it is from a flare gun now, following the info you gave I have managed to find a pic of one from 1944 with the same base, so really pleased about that. Thanks again for your help and replies to my post, much appreciated.
Regards
Mark