What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW 1 Italian 75 mm ??

lastditch

With the quick ID of the Italian grenade I listed , I will see if I can go 2 for 2.
This is I am fairly sure is a 75 mm Italian brass shell casing , the projectile on the other hand I am not sure of.
Brass case is 10.750 inches , projectile is 8 inches.
The projectile is missing the driving band / belt , it does fit snugly into casing up to where driving band should be. There is a slight lip holding it from sliding down inside.
Projectile nose has 3 recesses , maybe for holding tool when screwing in base plug.
The bottom of projectile has broad arrow proof mark along with a RW stamp.
Is this a correct combination or was this put together ?

The 4 pieces were sent home by the same doughboy.
Tom

Attachments

• ital1.jpg
    ital1.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 61
  • ital2.jpg
    ital2.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 74
  • ital3.jpg
    ital3.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 65
  • ital4.jpg
    ital4.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 100
  • sh1.jpg
    sh1.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 79
I have checked my copy of Marcuzzo's book, and can't find a shell tha matches your photo. Most 75-76mm shells used a point fuze and the few that used the base fuze don't seem to match. If you list the dimensions of the case I might get a match there. In the last photo you show a 37mm round which I recognise right off. It is either the Austrian round or the Italian copy. Hard to tell which unless you look closely at the inter parts.

Thank you for the reply, with the help of this site I was able to ID the 37mm Austrian shell appreciate the confirmation on that one.
Other shell in photo I have tentatively ID as a 8 cm M5 German shrapnel round case marking were the big help of course. Plus a few loose shrapnel ball and shrapnel holder sabot were a big clue.

Now to the projectile dimensions of the British broad arrow proofed piece.
Length is 8 inches / 203 mm , base OD 2.92 inches / 74.5 mm , largest area at nose base 2.960 inches / 75mm. The serration band where driving band should be is .475 inches / 12mm wide

As I said in first post all pieces were sent back by same doughboy , how they were acquired is another story.
Tom

Great information on the links you posted. I see my projectile is also missing the nose cap/windshield.

Why the British broad arrow proof , lend lease deal ?
Tom

The case looks cut-down in the photo ??
273mm length.......what is the base diameter, please?
There is a 75x334R for the Cannone da 75/32 (rim 90mm)

Brass case length is 273 mm and the rim base is 89 mm probably 90mm.
The lady was very adamant about everything being brought back by her grandfather after WW1. But as we see the projectile was most likely an add on many years after the war.
Thank you all for the information.
Tom