What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW 2 Mortar found metal detecting

Status
Not open for further replies.

wattowadeo

Yesterday a buddy and I went metal detecting at a soccer field and found several coins, and then we went to a sound side beach park and found a few more coins. After about 45 min I was searching on beach behind a life guard stand and got a hit back and forth iron,nickel,fluctuating,I dug down about 12-15 inches and pulled out a corroded object that we weren't quite sure what it was? I'm attaching pics. We took the other object to some friends and we think we have confirmed I have a WW2 mortar! At first I was excited and wanted to try and preserve it for my collection, then I was like, what if this thing could still blow UP! I don't want to put my family in any more danger than I already have! Any advice or instruction on this matter would be greatly appreciated! Over all it was my best day yet, I got the Fisher F2 off of Craig's list for my birthday and have been having a ball! A couple guys from work and I are in a contest to see who finds the most in 2010!

Thanks for Reading!

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like one of the smaller practice bombs based on the fins shown. While not something to totally panic about, it does have the possibility of containing a small spotting charge (if I remember correctly) so it is something that should be reported to the local authorities along with the location found.

They are the type of ordnance that like to congregate together.

Oh, and a friendly warning...if you think it's ordnance, you found it while digging and you don't know what it is...Don't pick it up! Bad things have been known to happen.

For Public safety reasons does not encourage or promote searching for ordnance either with metal detectors or other means unless trained and employed legitimately to do so...POSTING IMAGES OF LIVE OR DUG ORDNANCE IS NOT PERMITTED ON BOCN the only members permitted to post such items are "ordnance approved" members.These are members who work or have worked legitimately in explosive ordnance clearance
If you find anything which may be ordnance do not touch and contact local authoritys immediately
Bocn rulles and guidelines
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/new-members-please-t34459.html
What to do if you find a item of suspected ordnance in the uk
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/uk-live-ordnance-t70584.html?t=70584

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.