What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW 2 RAF Window

skull181

World War Two RAF Window strip, still in it's box unused.

Complete with it's small parachute.

No markings on the 'chute.

Attachments

• Window 001 (640x480).jpg
    Window 001 (640x480).jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Window 002 (640x480).jpg
    Window 002 (640x480).jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 52
  • Window 003 (640x480).jpg
    Window 003 (640x480).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 56
  • Window 004 (640x480).jpg
    Window 004 (640x480).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 47
Hello and thanks for showing. What is this for then and whats the purpose of the chute?
Sorry, but an area I know nothing about.
Cheers,
Rob

Hello and thanks for showing. What is this for then and whats the purpose of the chute?
Sorry, but an area I know nothing about.
Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob,

Window was a thin strip of metal foil dropped from aircraft to jamm the radar.
I have seen rolls of window before, but never with a chute attatched. Were chutes always used with window or was it sometimes dropped just by itself? I would have thought the foil was light enough in itself - anyone else have any more info on this?

regards Kev

The ones with a 'chute are rare, but this one in it's original box is very, very rare.

The 'chute made it float longer in the air.

Late war I think?

Hi All,I have often seen "Window"during aircraft wreck recovery,it is usually in bundles,these would be dropped by aircrew to confuse radar,later post war known as "Chaff",I believe the length of the strips was set to confuse particular types of radar,two or three aircraft dropping Window could give the impression that a whole armada of aircraft was approaching and night fighters were vectored on to it only to find nothing there,while the real raid flew a different course and was not molested by night fighters,(that was the theory)The "window"roll with parachute is an amazing find,well done skull181,Assuming a roll of foil was quite heavy the parachute would slow its descent and drift with the wind adding to the confusion on the radar screens,it would be interesting to find out what particular radar this was meant to jam,
Cheers,
Don,