What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW I Chemical Bombs

peteblight

Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Can anyone provide any information on the "bombs" in the attached picture.

They are supposed to be something called a thermogenerator which emmited arsenical smoke. Apparently they were adapted by fitting fins and a nose cone.

Thanks

Pete

WWI CW Bombs.jpg

What country is the uniform and aircraft?

Jeff,

Both are British, his name is Lt Donald Grantham of the RAF

Tim,

According to the information with the picture they were supposed to be hand thrown, but due to the terrain in Russia where they were deployed, it was decided that it wasn't suitable for a smoke attack so this was why they were supposedly modified into bombs. The picture was taken at Lake Onega in Russia.

Cheers

Pete

Apologies all,

It was a very quick post before I climbed the 'wooden hill' I should have removed the hyperlink as it only takes you to information about the document as opposed to the document, which is not on line. The document itself is held at the National Archives.

TimG

Some photo's of M bombs.

TimG

IMG_0153.jpgIMG_0155.jpgIMG_0157.jpgIMG_0159.jpgIMG_0167.jpgIMG_0169.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Thanks for posting these Tim. I should have done it ages ago.

Does anyone have any information about the smoke generator that these were made from?

Cheers

Pete

Pete a couple of those look familiar from some of the OCW photos used several years ago - have you dug through any of the old data left behind?

Jeff,

Meos Blue book looks to have the info, TimG pointed me in the right direction.

Cheers