What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW II era 37mm canister

Hello all.. I hope I posting this in the right spot. My questions are about canister rounds. I have acquired a number of what I believe to be 37mm canister rounds. Were these ever used in combat? I would suppose them to be anti-personnel rounds? Were these designed as close-in, last ditch rounds or were they firing at airplanes like a giant shotgun at an angry bird?

I have never read of them being used in combat so am curious. Below are a few pictures of some of my recent acquisitions and they all date to the WWII years. All of them are solid shot, non-explosive rounds. BTW, the one where the balls are exposed; I did that myself for display purposes. I have left the remainder more or less "as acquired".

Thanks for any help providing their history and use... Beau

Attachments

• DSCN2203.jpg
    DSCN2203.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN2183.jpg
    DSCN2183.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN2195.jpg
    DSCN2195.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Hi Beau,
Can I just take a moment to say that's quite a haul you have there, and to post a reminder of the forum rules. Digging in a dump is not really recommended and potentially very dangerous.
www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/84547-Bocn-rules-and-guidelines-reminder
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threads/34459-Please-read-before-posting-on-bocn-forums

You have some 37mm M2 Canister projectiles as used in the Honey Tank and also in the 37mm anti tank gun. It was issued as a combat round and saw use in europe in WW2. The complete round was in a M16 37x223 case. Will post a picture when I can get my computer to work again,
Best regards Weasel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beau,

Yes, the 37mm M2 canister projectiles were used a lot in the Pacific campaign. For anti-armor use, the 37mm gun was already obsolete when it was adopted. Especially in North Africa, Italy, and Europe, they were almost useless against German armor.

But in the Pacific, they were still effective against the thinner Japanese tank armor. And for anti-personnel use, the M3 guns used canister shot with great success until the end of the war. I had a good friend who was a .50 cal. MG gunner and survived a Japanese infantry mass attack while serving with the 32nd Division at Buna. He shot charging enemy soldiers as close as 15 yards away with the .50 and credited his survival to a 37mm gun on their left flank shooting canister shot. Other nearby parts of their line of defense were overrun during the attack but not where the 37mm guns were firing M2 shot.

First, I apologize. I thought the posting reg was for "live" rounds. It won't happen again.

I do want to thank you guys for providing the information about it's use anyway. It's funny, I have read a fair amount about the war, and I've just never heard it mentioned in any accounts. Anyone have a recommendation of any accounts that mention it's use?

Thanks again... Beau

Last edited: