What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 18 Pdr Identification

Spike1

Hi Forum, I am hoping you can fill in the details for me about the headstamp markings on a cartridge case that my son has just brought back from a school trip to the Somme. I have been on the internet but can't find a match for all the symbols. I have taken a pic so hopefully someone will recognise them.
Looking through this forum I have gleaned it is an 18 pounder mark 2,
manufactured 1917,
CF - cordite filled (does this mean it was only fired once?)
EOC - Elswick Ordnance Company - Newcastle
LOTB 9777 - is this just the batch number of manufacture?
What I can't work out is what sort of projectile did it fire? Should there be some letters to show this?
What do the "6" under the arrow, and the J,M in the diamond mean?
Would the primer have been made by the same company, and is that "bell" logo anything of interest.
If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance, Spike1.

Attachments

• Headstamp Markings s.jpg
    Headstamp Markings s.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 78
Hi Spike1,
You have done a great job in finding out what you have so far, i don't know the bell symbol on the primer but i am sure some one here will be able to tell you the primer will more than likely not be made by the same company as the case was made by as there were so many company's producing bits from cases to fuzes to shell body and on and on, you are right in guessing that LOT b 9777 is indeed manufacturing lot or batch number. The projectile would most likely have been a shrapnel shell designed to eject it contents of a large number of lead spherical shot as it was in flight towards the enemy lines, this was achieved with the use of a time fuze for example a No 80 was typical. there are a few pictures of these shells on the forum if you have a search using terms like 18pr 18pdr you will find some more info.
Have attached a picture of an old one i used to have in my collection, best regards Weasel.

01 019.jpg

Hi Spike1,

The 6 and the Broad Arrow over it is probably the mark of the Government'sinspector who accepted it for service. The JM in the diamond is a stamp I have often seen on EOC cases, but I do not know its significance, unfortunately.

I don't think there were ever stampings on artillery cases to state what projectile it was loaded with (unlike with small arms ammo); this info was usually stencilled on the base of the case, and nearly always gets polished off over the years.

Regards,
R.

Thanks for the very rapid and helpful replies Weasel and ydnum303. It has really sparked my sons interest and imagination searching out what all the markings mean, and brings to life some of the small but vital inner workings of what went on before a shell got anywhere near the battlefield. Somehow I don't think this will be his last ordnance purchase! Thanks again, Spike1.

JM is likely an Elswick Ordnance Co inspector, I have his initials on 1 Pr cases.