What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 #5 Practice Grenade

usa1918

I have this item on the way to me. Can anyone tell me a bit about the maker (riverbank)? Is it WW1 era?

pix072478840.jpgpix417889419.jpg

Keith (usa1918)

Thanks for showing that . A wonderful item ! Definitely WW1 . Most impressive & I've never seen one like it .

It looks right for a throwing practice grenade, so I think the maker might be Towler & Son Ltd, of Riverbank Works, Stratford, London, E15.

A partner company Towler & Innes, of 85/87 High Street, Stratford, E15, is certainly on record as making fuze bodies and caps, and aerial bombs (amongst other items) for the war effort; both grenades and aerial bombs came under the auspices of the Trench Warfare Department.

Tom.

Another one has surfaced that's great, my example has been filled with wood chips, i brought my one from Canada many moons ago and now this one on the other side of the pond as well,,,, Dave
5 elm1.jpg5 elm2.jpg5 elm3.jpg

Thanks for showing that one , Dave . Perhaps they were used at the famous battle of Toad Hall................

Dave
Thanks. I saw the one filled with wood chips on your web site, but assumming it's the same one, didn't realize that in was a riverbank.
Keith