What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 6 pounder shells

Gambardier

I'm looking to pick up some 6 pounder shells for my WW1 Tank Crew display - i've seen images of Hotchkiss 6 pounder shells (the long type, used as a naval gun and used on the Mk I, Mk II and Mk III Male Tanks', which have a taper at the top of the brass shell case. As well as looking to pick up some of these, i'd also be looking to pick up the shells for the later, shorter 6 pdr 6 cwt from the Mk IV onwards - was there any difference in shells though? I'm certain i've seen 6 pdr shell casings from 1917 and 1918 which were shorter in length and of the same diamater with no 'neck', would these be from the 6 pdr 6 cwt?

The 6-PR 8-CWT and the 6-PR 6-CWT MK II used the same shell case (57x307R) but with different propellant loadings.
The case for the 6-PR 6-CWT MK II had the lower half of the case coloured with a bronzing liquid to differentiate it from the 'long barreled' ammunition.