What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 8.8cm question

Burney Davis

Premium Member
I couldn't decide which section to put this in so here goes!

I have attached a picture of an early HE shell for the 8.8cm naval gun. The shell designation is 8.8cm Spgr L/2.8. The information that I have indicates that this was used in the SK L/30 and SK L/35 guns. The only reference that I have states that the projectile was used in the 88 x 390r case which is heavily bottlenecked.

My question does anyone have any information that confirms this projectile (and the other types used in the 390mm case) was ever used with any other case? The longer 88mm case (either 567 or 571mm depending on the reference point) for the WW1 marine Flak gun used a double banded time fuzed HE projectile but I cant find any reference to other projectiles being used with that case.

Any help greatly appreciated. :dontknow:

BD

Attachments

• 88 naval.JPG
    88 naval.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 114
I couldn't decide which section to put this in so here goes!

I have attached a picture of an early HE shell for the 8.8cm naval gun. The shell designation is 8.8cm Spgr L/2.8. The information that I have indicates that this was used in the SK L/30 and SK L/35 guns. The only reference that I have states that the projectile was used in the 88 x 390r case which is heavily bottlenecked.

My question – does anyone have any information that confirms this projectile (and the other types used in the 390mm case) was ever used with any other case? The longer 88mm case (either 567 or 571mm depending on the reference point) for the WW1 marine Flak gun used a double banded time fuzed HE projectile but I can’t find any reference to other projectiles being used with that case.

Any help greatly appreciated. :dontknow:

BD

Again, just bumping this question.

Thanks

D

just one point about the case lenghts 567 mm = Flak 16 case (not Marine) and 571 mm = 8,8 cm SK L/40 and 45 and Marine Flak. I have the same information about the short semi armor piercing projectiles. For the 571 mm Marine case there exists a longer shell L/3,8 with same design. But what I have seen recovered in the Baltic Sea is a 88x390R with a long HE shell. Unfortunately all sources about the german naval shells are at the moment foreign or modern sources which couldn't be fully trusted and also which don't have to be complete. I am not aware of any original german WW1 document about naval shells at the moment.

Last edited:
Hello

What i know : ever and only used with the UBts & TBts Kanone (8,8 cm Deck Gun)

joel

Ps: Also used as "Abkomm" munition .....

Last edited: