What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Battle field pick up stick grenade

JOHN LANDON

Premium Member
Seeking suggestions on how to stabalise/preserve a couple of very rusted/rotted stick grenade cans.They are more rust than original steel.Heavy cleaning would totaly destry them,some sort of coating? Soak in satin varnish mayby ? Thet are too fae gone for a coat of wax.

Seeking suggestions on how to stabalise/preserve a couple of very rusted/rotted stick grenade cans.They are more rust than original steel.Heavy cleaning would totaly destry them,some sort of coating? Soak in satin varnish mayby ? Thet are too fae gone for a coat of wax.
A few further thoughts ,dunking these objects in varnish is probably NOT a good idea .It would take months for it to completely harden and could end up more brittle then when started .Biggest objection would be that this process will be irreversable /permanant .Good conservation requires that the object is not changed in any way and what ever treatments are made can be reversed/removed in the future if so required .Still thinking of a "dunking" method to completely encapsulate and seal them . A strong solution of PVA [60% white glue] will soak into the porous areas and give some structural strength.It should dry almost colourless with a slight sheen to it.If at a later date its needed to remove the preserving layer it can be done using alcohol ,which will cause no further degradation of the base object.

Can you show the grenade it will give people some idea what your having to work on

Can you show the grenade it will give people some idea what your having to work on
AHHHHHHH ahead of you there Spotter , I had taken before "treatment" photos and now that the first one is "dry to touch " will be taking "after" photos of it , these will be posted.I have a nasty feeling that I might not have done us any favours by potentially increasing the price of rusted relic grenades.

AHHHHHHH ahead of you there Spotter , I had taken before "treatment" photos and now that the first one is "dry to touch " will be taking "after" photos of it , these will be posted.I have a nasty feeling that I might not have done us any favours by potentially increasing the price of rusted relic grenades.
Process used immersion in 60/40 P.V.A. [white glue] allowed to soak for 24 hours , hung up to drain and for surplus fluid to drain off ,air dried
BEFORE TREAT MENT PICS

AFTER TREATMENT..

Aslight sheen to the surface ,NOT sticky , To put it simply no longer crunchy .Easy to handle firm to the touch. Much internal detail can now be seen
COMMENTS PLEASE.

Attachments

• AFTER 1.JPG
    AFTER 1.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26
  • AFTER.JPG
    AFTER.JPG
    1,022.1 KB · Views: 26