What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Bomb ID req'd, please.

Cirus

Hi all,

With reference to the picture below, can anyone ID this small bomb? It is exactly 7" (179mm) long and 2 1/5" (56mm) wide. The body is cast-iron and the tail fins unscew from the main body. Apart from the 'S' on the side, there are no other markings. I have been led to believe that it is a WW1 German bomb, designed to be dropped by hand on to the enemy. Anyway, I look forward to your replies!

Regs
Cirus

Attachments

• WW1 bomb.JPG
    WW1 bomb.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Looks like a WWI French mortar, pneumatic if I remember correctly.

Yes, More than likely WW1 French pneumatic mortar. There are several variants. Here is picture of another one...Dano

Attachments

• 000_0001.jpg
    000_0001.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 24
Great pics and diagrams kz11gr. I knew of variants but not on that scale. I especially like the photograph as that is about "classic" as it gets. The pneumatic mortar fascinates me. Yes sir, WW1 was a period of great development in the area of ordnance. Thanks for posting..Dano

'Bomb' ID

Hi all,

Again many thanks for your efforts in identifying this item, it certainly came as news to me that the French used a pneumatic mortar. Therefore, it does look like the French army had an 'Airforce' all of it's own!

Regs
Cirus.

other model :

Attachments

• zgg.jpg
    zgg.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 38
  • zhh.JPG
    zhh.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Hello Cirus, I have seen a peroid picture of the small Brandt pneumatic morter rounds hanging in a rack by their tail fins in the cockpit of an early airplane. These were to be dispensed one at a time by hand as needed.
So, It is absolutely correct that these were used at least to some degree in airplanes although that was not their primary use. Pat

Bomb? ID.

Hi Pat,

An interesting point reference the picture you spoke of, during the First World War a lot of ordnance was used in a 'make do' way other than it's intended use. And I can see that these mortars would lend themselves quite readily to be used has hand droppes bombs!

Thanks
Cirus

Here, certainly a rare model : not in cast iron, but in GLAS .

Used during the bombardment.
At the beginning, normal bombs during a long time : The ennemy goes underground.
Then the bomb used is the glas model, which exploses so loud as the normal bomb. The ennemy has not heard the difference and thinks that nothing changes and that the infantry attack will start at the end of the bombing. During the utilisation of the glas shells, the Infantry attacks and is not hurt or killed by the Brandt shells, and can join the ennemy trenches without great damages.

attachment.php

Attachments

• glas_bomb.jpg
    glas_bomb.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 165
Last edited: