What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Bomb ID

khanmak

I was working yesterday with the BBC at a BBC WW1 At home Event in Norwich and somebody brought along this rather interesting Item. I haven't been able to extract anything from any previous BOCN threads - can anybody assist with an ID? It was inert - just a bomb case, completely empty inside. I'm assuming it is a very early incendiary munition? Only markings were on one of the fins - an E in a diamond!

Thanks in advance

Mark

DSC_0178.jpgDSC_0179.jpg

Mark,

Bomb, Petrol, Small, Mark I

Didn't realise it was battery operated.

Mark,

Some chapter & verse. Could be the large variety I suppose.

Bombs for the RFC and the RAF were an Ordnance Corps responsibility until about 1926.

Image 0048edit.jpgImage 0049edit.jpgImage 0050edit.jpg

Mark,

Furher reading suggests that a small number of the petrol bombs were filled instead with black powder for dropping on airships.

unfortunately not - I was in a bit of a rush to take the photo - I put the AA battery in the first photo to some idea of scale.

Hi MINEAZ16

Scaling up the length of the AA battery (2 inches/50 mm) gives a rough overall length of approximately 20.5 inches (525 mm), maximum diameter of approx 5.5 inches (140 mm) and a fin span of 4.5 inches (112 mm)......

I hope that this helps.

eodda