What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 British trench mortar fuse??????

tigbrand

Premium Member
I have a ww1 dated 6 inch trench mortar projectile which although recovered from near vimy ridge is in pretty good nick,what i dont know is what is the correct fuse? At the mo it has a brass plug fitted dated 1916,a no 80 fuse fits perfectly.Pics posted ,not sure if they will work. If not sorry spotter if you end up resizing again,i think my computer is as old as the mortar proj,Thanks chaps.

Heres tigbrands pictures,,
ammo_045_1_.jpg

Hi tigbrands
The 6-inch mortar (2-inch gauge) He was equipped with the N°31 (time fuze) its a N° 80 without percussion system
This joined some pictures and diagram
Regards
lcn

4tf70x4.jpg

526cenm.jpg

Hi tigbrands
The 6-inch mortar (2-inch gauge) He was equipped with the N°31 (time fuze) its a N° 80 without percussion system
This joined some pictures and diagram
Regards
lcn

4tf70x4.jpg

526cenm.jpg

Thank you very much!very quick reply,thanks for the pics.Was this projectile HE only,or could it have been used for gas as well?

He had there only the HE and practice version of 6-inch bomb
join a picture of 6-inch HE with N°110 fuze
a bientôt
formex

hello
I join another pic. The diagram seems to me to show the US 6 inch version
au revoir
jean paul
vf8b2d.jpg

Cheers for the extra info,if you look at the round it does look like it could derive from a shell,would like to know more about this.Thanks T.

I agree it does have the outside shape of a common pointed naval shell.
Here's your bomb :
6inchNewtonMortarBombMkII.png

and here's the interior of Mk III bomb, I think the only change was the fins :
6inchNewtonMortarBombMkIII.jpg

The walls and base are too thin for a high-velocity 6 inch naval common-pointed shell :
I don't have a diagram for 6-inch, but here's a 9.2 inch common-pointed shell. Note the thickness of walls and base :
BL9.2inchCommonPointed_MkIVShell.jpg

Naval shells were heavy items, a 6-inch naval shell weighed 100 lb filled and fuzed and weere about 21 inches long. The Newton bomb weighed 52 lb and was about 18 inches long. Hence I don't see how the bomb was a converted naval shell unless they turned off a lot of the case, sawed 4 inches off the base, and added a new base i.e. bomb head. If the did that they could end up with the mortar bomb - but it doesn't seem worth the effort. Can you check your bomb where the joins are - does it appear as if the head is screwed on ?
Rod

Last edited:
Hi Rod,I no longer have this,its just been sold.You are right its not sturdy enough for a naval shell,also the casting is very crude indeed with porosity showing. Probably cast by a small foundry roped into munitions work! At the time i new very little about this round,Thanks for the additional info Tony.

Rod,

1) From what publication does the diagram of the 9.2" Common pointed come from?
2) Does the text give an explanation of the term 'velvrilled'? if so what is the process?

Thanks

Tim.G.

Treatise on Ammunition 1915.
Velvrill was used to coat the inside of the shell, apparently to provide a smooth sealed surface.
Saltpetre in gunpowder apparently could cause the shell wall to corrode if it contained any moisture, which could damage both powder and shell. Presumably corrosion could be a source of friction with the powder on firing. So you don't want any chemical reactions going on.
Also, the smooth lining on the shell wall prevented friction with the gunpowder filling during firing, as friction could cause the gunpowder to ignite.
Velvril appears to have been an alternative to lacquer.
Composition of "velvril paint" :
zinc oxide 24 parts
yellow ochre 3.5
red iron oxide 0.5
nitrated castor oil 15
nitro-cellulose (low degree of nitration) 7.5
acetone oil 60

Last edited:
Is it possible these trench mortar rounds were made from obsolete RML shells ,thats why theres no driving band and the rounded bottom.Sorry about picture been wrong size round but it shows what i mean by the rounded bottom

Attachments

• 236a.jpg
    236a.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 55
Last edited: