What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 French? 75mm Shell Case Question

siegfreid

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Premium Member
Can anyone give me information on this shell case headstamp & also , how long should the case be ? Thankyou ! Mike.

mvc-850s.jpg

Hi Mike,
Off the top of my head the maker was the New York Air Brake company, i think i have one somewhere i will try and dig it out to measure it for you.
Best Weasel.

Weasel, i believe you're correct.
If i'm not mistaken they also used the attached marking

Attachments

• New York Air Brake Co. New York.jpg
    New York Air Brake Co. New York.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 6
Mike,
Just browsing the forum for some inspiration on my WWI French 75 shell when I came across your post. The case which came with my 75 shell is not too good so I searched the workshop and came across a case which I obtained on the Somme some years ago which is in better condition. It is 35mm long. The headstamp is marked NYAB 75 DEC, also 303 L 17 M with smaller capital letters DB near to the rim.
On cleaning the case, the remains of etching were discovered on the side. Not all of it is too clear but I will do my best. The marks appear to be as follows :-
US3 590
??? 2? . 163
AUG . 18
YO . 55?
Hope this is of some interest.

A few weeks ago, I turned up on the forum a post with some pics of a French 75 Shrapnel shell retaining most original finish. It shows clearly the remains of a broad white band and what appears to be a narrow black band towards the top of the shell, just before the ogive. I would like to clarify the markings before finishing my shell but I have been unable to find this post again. Can anybody put me onto it?
Best wishes, Dave.
P.S., Mike, I eventually complete the 25Pdr shell which I bought from you some years ago. Although I say it myself as souldn't, it looks quite well.