What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 German Shell

Given the `St` stamp I guessing this is probably a 7.7cm case?
This being the case (no pun meant!) the St stands for strengthened.
Earlier case had less copper and this meant they would split around the circumference near the rim making them unreloadable.
Date is obvious.
As to the HL etc not too sure.
Is there a `FN` in a circle stamp?
If so this maybe a Belgian made case at the Herestal factory under occupation by the Germans
I am lead to believe the Belgians used to try to mark them with the FN stamp just to wind up their lords & masters. That may just be urban legend though.
Obviously if this isn`t a 7.7 then ignore me!!

I have had one of these cases before. I had it identified on a forum as made by Hauptlaboratorium, Ingolstadt, Bavaria, Germany. This is the meaning of the "H.L." Marking.

I was also told that "34" is the lot number, and the number directly under the primer is an acceptance stamp.

Last edited:
Given the `St` stamp I guessing this is probably a 7.7cm case?
This being the case (no pun meant!) the St stands for strengthened.
Earlier case had less copper and this meant they would split around the circumference near the rim making them unreloadable.
Date is obvious.
As to the HL etc not too sure.
Is there a `FN` in a circle stamp?
If so this maybe a Belgian made case at the Herestal factory under occupation by the Germans
I am lead to believe the Belgians used to try to mark them with the FN stamp just to wind up their lords & masters. That may just be urban legend though.
Obviously if this isn`t a 7.7 then ignore me!!
7.7 yes, have one identical...Dano

Hi
I don't remember where i've see that HL for Haniele & Luege Dusseldorff
Perhaps i'm not in the good way...

Hi Falcon,

I knew i heard/read about that 'Hauptlaboratorim' explanation somewhere, and it was discussed in previous threads:

http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...-16-Germany-Friedrich-Niemeyer?highlight=hl27
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/threa...ID-of-this-brass-casing-please?highlight=hl27

Looks like the Hauptlaboratorium Ingolstadt used 'HL27' (and a diffrent type font)...

The above mentionned "FN in circle" has nothing to do with FN Belgium but was the marking for 'Fritz Neumeyer, Nrnberg, Bavaria, Germany' (as could be found in the first link)