What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Mills - original paint finish?

Derek

Following on from my last post, I need some help clarifying the paint finish on WW1 Mills grenades. I have scoured the net and many of the threads on BOCN but I am none the wiser. There is mention of shellac which is the common finish on WW2 Mills but WW1 seems to be different or not? I have attached a few pictures to show what I mean. The first I have borrowed from Dave Sampson's excellent site, this shows a No. 5 with original black paint with coloured bands added on top. Then one of mine, a No. 5 Belgian issue, again black paint then coloured bands on top of this coat. The last is an illustration taken from an Osprey book, this shows a No.5 with a brown shellac finish and coloured bands. Were WW1 grenades first coated with shellac then painted or what? Totally confused...................
Cheers, Derek

Attachments

• No5 Mills orig paint.jpg
    No5 Mills orig paint.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 36
  • MillsBelgian.jpg
    MillsBelgian.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 34
  • mills50001.jpg
    mills50001.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 37
The September 1915 specification (L3587) calls for bodies to be lacquered consisting of gum shellac and methylated spirits. Later an amendment to the spec (L3587L) called for bodies to be "coated by the fermangan process". An earlier spec exists (L3510) but I do not have a copy.

Hope that is of some help.

Attached a photo showing a few from the No.5 family. All have original shellac varnish - though rather scant in places. The painted "bands", though worn, are far from neatly applied; which provides a good way of identifying one that's been repainted or touched up - if the varnish or paint is too complete or too neat, then treat with caution.

Tom.

Attachments

• Shellaced Mills'.jpg
    Shellaced Mills'.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Derek, try and make you example like the ones in Snufkins post, there fantastic..... Dave

Derek. Old shellac sometimes deteriorates with age to appear black . I don't think they ever actually painted them black with either oil based or cellulose paint . The filler bands were painted on with oil paint , though , after they were filled & this is always over the top of the shellac finish . Hope this helps . Mike

grens etc 011.jpggrens etc 020.jpggrens etc 010.jpggrens etc 009.jpggrens etc 008.jpggrens etc 007.jpggrens etc 006.jpgHere are some pics of a No 5 in original shellac, also of note is an extra wire arrangement on the pin/lever, any thoughts as to why it should be there ? I have had this item for over 30 years and this is how it came. All Inert of course, will strip down completely, has aluminium centre piece and non-slotted striker. Tony.

heres an original No5 with a blackened finish and traces of the red and pink bands.
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Original paint No5.jpg
    Original paint No5.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 35
View attachment 63049View attachment 63048View attachment 63050View attachment 63051View attachment 63052View attachment 63053View attachment 63054Here are some pics of a No 5 in original shellac, also of note is an extra wire arrangement on the pin/lever, any thoughts as to why it should be there ? I have had this item for over 30 years and this is how it came. All Inert of course, will strip down completely, has aluminium centre piece and non-slotted striker. Tony.

That is strange that bit of wire, at first i was thinking for dipping the grenade in the coating but why do that when you have a perfectly useful ring pull, may be to hang up as a display of some kind ???? Dave