What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww1 no 101 cutaway

dogdog

Hi All
just thought i would show you all my latest effort, this is the third fuse i have done to date. i have used a fired dugup fuse, i think it has turned out well. this is destined for a friends collection soon (andyD).
I really like doing this sort of thing but it takes ages i recon around 15 hours work.
lots if you seem to be doing this sort of thing how long is it taking you chaps?
hope you all like it
Andy

Attachments

• peabody 240.jpg
    peabody 240.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 154
  • peabody 242.jpg
    peabody 242.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 92
Cutaway fuzes

Very nice job. I would estimate it took me about 10 hours to due each of the cutaways I have done. I use a Dremel tool for just about everything, however my cuts on the larger surfaces are not as clean as on your fuze.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

Hi Andy,

Superb job!

Actually I'm curious as to why you selected the 101?
The reason I ask is that I have a sectionized 101 ...is this a popular fuse to do? Or are there still heaps around?
Thanks
Cheer
Drew

101 Fuze

VERY NICE Thanks for the photos they will find a home in my FUZE scrap book. I have done a number of 303 & 8mm rounds but never a fuze. Iwill put it on my too do list.

Hi All
just thought i would show you all my latest effort, this is the third fuse i have done to date. i have used a fired dugup fuse, i think it has turned out well. this is destined for a friends collection soon (andyD).
I really like doing this sort of thing but it takes ages i recon around 15 hours work.
lots if you seem to be doing this sort of thing how long is it taking you chaps?
hope you all like it
Andy

Nice cut Andy.
I also like doing sections. I find about a quarter of the time is researching to find out the best place to do the cut, a quarter of the time is spent actually doing the cut and the other half of the time is spent finishing it (sanding, painting any lines of cut etc). The more care taken on the last part the better it'll look.
Here's one I did a while ago, the sanding, painting and filling with substitute HE (inert of course) took ages.
http://www.bocn.co.uk/vbforum/butterfly-cut-t71823.html?highlight=butterfly+cut
Thanks for showing the fuze.
Dave.

Last edited:
Hi All
Thank you all for the positive comments i have been looking through some of the older threads and had a few ideas from things that others have done. might section a ww2 german bomb fuse next.
I am with Dave it takes almost as much time to work out were to make the cuts as it does doing the work. dug up fuses can be harder still since they usually don't strip down and you have to be sure there is nothing nasty left inside.
Drew i think the 101 gets done becouse they are common and they are a good example of a typical contact fuse and no time rings to cut so it's a little simpler.
The only tools i am using are a large vice, large and small hand saw, selection of file's and lots of wet n dry paper.
and i double tripple check before i chop it up.
so far so good though not wrecked anything yet.
i did a russian rocket fuse for andyD he may have put it up for vue hear cant find it though.
Andy

Hey Andy,

Dug-out my sectionized 101 for your reference - I received the fuse as it, so not sure who originally performed the work. I do remember spending "hours" dismantling it, and cleaning /lacquering each bit - probably in total a few minutes short of 10 hrs!
There are some rust spots now showing on the top, but then it has been 25yrs ago since.... .

Interesting thread - I checked out Dave's link to his workmanship- great work as well!......what do you guys use to "perform the cut"??? (hacksaw?)

Thanks

Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3185.jpg
    DSCN3185.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3188.jpg
    DSCN3188.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 42
Hi Drew
that is a really nice one very well done.
As for tools i use the basics but the best quality i can get. Most if the cuts are done with hand saws but i allway use good new blades and good files are a must. Other than a vice and some wet and dry thats all i have used so far.
not that it's for sale as its going to a friend but what do sectioned fuses sell for? i found a 101 on JC Millitaria for 80 but it was just the body no internals i thought 80 was way too much but i am not a fuse collector.
Andy

not that it's for sale as its going to a friend but what do sectioned fuses sell for? i found a 101 on JC Millitaria for 80 but it was just the body no internals i thought 80 was way too much but i am not a fuse collector.
Andy

There was a nice sectioned No85 fuze on ebay a couple of weeks back, can't remember how much it went for in the end though :neutral:.
Pretty much everything on JC seems to be a little pricey!!

In general, most sectionised items are worth of course more than the non-sectionised counterpart. As I'm a fuse collector, I would pay "handsomely" for a rare highly desirable fuses (but not "stupid" money amounts!!!!) So it is very subjective and of course depends upon available funds at the time....and in my case, if the "Financial Controller" lets me! :sad:

One reason (apart from having no time nor skill) that I haven't ventured into sectionising one is that I have come across a quite a few over the years....here a couple of interesting ones:

The first is a WW2 dated 18pdr HE projectile & fuse - I would have assumed this to be ex-army training. The next is a WW2 40mm Bofors projectile + fuse - yes needing some TLC.
The last is a British (or US?) hedgehog fuse, partly sectionised (this came from Fleabay).

Enjoy!
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3215.jpg
    DSCN3215.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3216.jpg
    DSCN3216.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN3217.jpg
    DSCN3217.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3218.jpg
    DSCN3218.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3219.jpg
    DSCN3219.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 27
  • DSCN3220.jpg
    DSCN3220.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCN3222.jpg
    DSCN3222.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 24
Hi Drew
really like the bofors i used to collect these many moons ago the picture atached is what i have left.it's a unfired cook off sadly with no history.
Andy

Attachments

• bofors shell 002.jpg
    bofors shell 002.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 18
  • bofors shell 001.jpg
    bofors shell 001.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 16
I'd just like to thank Andy for his great job on the 101,it looks even better in hand!

Cheers,
Andy