What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 projectile

Gspragge

Premium Member
Austrian soldiers beside what might be an Austrian Projectile. I don't know if the Russians had anything like this in the field ?

Attachments

• !CCqMvZg!2k~$(KGrHqR,!l!Ez+yZLwtJBNL2EL4(1g~~_35.JPG
    !CCqMvZg!2k~$(KGrHqR,!l!Ez+yZLwtJBNL2EL4(1g~~_35.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 162
  • !CCqMyZQBmk~$(KGrHqF,!k0Ez+wnMT7wBNL2ER6uNg~~_35.JPG
    !CCqMyZQBmk~$(KGrHqF,!k0Ez+wnMT7wBNL2ER6uNg~~_35.JPG
    12 KB · Views: 65
I don't know about the Russians, but the Italians had a 305mm that was close to that size - ?

Italian 305mm chemical, with phosgene fill - 70L. Along with one of our normally silent female members, MoragTheHag.

Attachments

• Italian 305mm CG  1a.jpg
    Italian 305mm CG 1a.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 95
  • Italian 305mm CG  Morag 4a.jpg
    Italian 305mm CG Morag 4a.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 96
It looks much to large for a 30,5 cm shell. I think it is more likely an austro-hungarian 38 cm shell for the 38 cm Howitzer M.16.

Last edited:
...and I just looked into my documents, the 42 cm M.14 Shell for 42 cm M.16 (17) howitzer is also possible (it has the same shape as the 38 cm). For 100% proof we need to see a larger image where the driving band is better visible.

Last edited:
The image is poor

Taken from an ebay postcard listed, the image was low resolution and small.

sorry to jump in,but it looks like a monatage to me.The shell looks like its been imposed on to the image of the gentlemen for a novelty.
They were loads of comical postcards produced during this time

Thats my 2 pence worth,maybe one day i might be of more use!!
regards