What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 Trenches in Northumberland

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
This WW1 Trench system is on Otterburn Training area in Northumberland,I had the chance to look at these a couple of years ago ,they are still well preserved ,unfortunately the pictures dont really do them justice but these can be visited , it is best checking with Otterburn camp range control before to find out when they are accesible as the range is active much of the year

Attachments

• Allan's 691.jpg
    Allan's 691.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Allan's 692.jpg
    Allan's 692.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Allan's 694.jpg
    Allan's 694.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 132
  • Allan's 695.jpg
    Allan's 695.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 112
  • otterburn trenches.jpg
    otterburn trenches.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 169
Last edited:
Great pics but why where these made?

Was it in practice ready for the lads when they were sent overseas?

cheers

waff

hello waff,bit of an iffy one this,all the mentions i have of these trenches are that they were built as training trenches for the great war,a well known mod archaeologist recently did a dig on these and now says they were built as a target,something i disagree with,My opinion ,yes when they fell into dis-use they will have been used as targets ,but at the time to build a well made trench system to use just as a target does not make sense ,to me its like saying the old farm buildings were made as targets because they have been shelled

Yes,i see your point with the target practice theory.Im going to agree with yourself on this.
Anyone else?

cheers

waff

I wonder if the area could have been shelled to give troops training in trench repair?

Would seem to be a lot of work to go to just for target practice, I agree with you Spotter.

Quatermass.

tomorrow im back on these trenches clearing an access route to them so will try ,weather and time permitting to get some better quality pictures for you all

old trenches

Interesting as to practice or targets, maybe targets to see the effects of our shells but then why try them on our style trenches? There must be miles of practice trench around the country, anyone know of any local to them/ I'll start with Ashridge and Berkhampstead common in Hertfordshire had thousands of yards of WW1 trench dug for training and some still visible but overgrown.

as usual there was last minute change of plan so didnt get to do these today,ill post pics when i eventually get to them..sorry folks

Hi all,
There is a similar set of trenches at Marlow Common, (about 1 mile NW of Marlow town centre), in Bucks, which my grandfather (who served in the Ox. & Bucks. L.I. in WW1) told me had been dug for troop training at that time. As a boy, 50+ years ago now, I played in these, and at that time they were still in quite good condition, but they are now rather overgrown.

I suspect they were dug as part of our WW1 defences to help keep the Scots out Paul - but that's only my personal theory. (with all due respect to those of you north of the border who have a wierd taste in music, wear skirts and use pigs bladders as lunch boxes!) Dave

Used to be a lot of trenches in the woods between Deepcut Barracks and Pirbrigt, very overgrown. Looked WW1ish to me.

+++

Try to see with Google Earth; search with "Otterburn". Everything visible. You can make a virtual trip over other WW battlefields too.

Attachments

• Otterburn.jpg
    Otterburn.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Finally got to work around the trenches today we did not dig inside them ,and got some better quality photos

Attachments

• DSC00394.jpg
    DSC00394.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00396.jpg
    DSC00396.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC00397.jpg
    DSC00397.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 11
  • DSC00399.jpg
    DSC00399.jpg