What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW1 U.S.Practice Grenades: KWCO, ME U of I

FNG61

For your consideration. 2 WW1 training grenades. One marked; K W C O (on each side), the other M.E. U. of I. (the MK1 dummy is shown only as a control sample). I'm sure I've seen these 2 befor, possibly at some of the earlier renditions of grenade collector web-sites (pre-BOCN) or at E-Bay, but havent been able to find that info again. The KW has a "peg" base just like MK1 grenade but lacks the "cone" top. No idea what KWCO stands for. The M.E. U.of I. supposedly comes from the University of Illinois at Champaign. They were/are a huge university and had MOS programs for Cavalry, Engineers and Artillery. They have ROTC now. I got the grenade and the information from a long time collector from the area who has seen the grenades turn up localy over the years. He offered no interpretations for the M.E. initials. Anybody else got any information on these 2 grenades?

Attachments

• DSCF1090.jpg
    DSCF1090.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1089.jpg
    DSCF1089.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1088.jpg
    DSCF1088.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCF1087.JPG
    DSCF1087.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCF1086.jpg
    DSCF1086.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 20
  • DSCF1084.jpg
    DSCF1084.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCF1083.jpg
    DSCF1083.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 27
I recall the guess(es) on the M.E. included Mechanical Engineering. Possible "lab" class on casting/foundry work. Don't recall anything definitive. Nice selection, regardless.

Rick

Thanks for that Rick. BTW, has anybody ever commented on the anachronism of the Mk1 dummy grenade having a Mk1 fuze and a later style Mk II body? The Wilson "Sport" grenade seemed to get the copy of a Mk1 down right. Now to find one of those.....

I have always been of the opinion that the MKI dummy (MKII body MKI fuze) to be from a later period than WWI and that the fuze was an afterthought. Now the Wilson "sport" looks closer to WWI though the question remains was it part of a sport game or a dummy grenade? The former mentioned MKI dummies are just too plentiful and I would think between the wars somewhere. Just an opinion. And FNG61 those are two nice WWI traning grenades...........Dano

Last edited: