What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 British bomb with nose spike ??

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,

I saw in a WW2 documentary a bombing of British bombs with a strange nose like german STABO.

Does anyone know this device ?

Thanks

Pictures from the film :

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg

RAAF 3rd Sq. Curtiss Kittyhawk I during the Battle for El Alamein were reported to be equipped with bombs having "nose rods". Similarly, RAF 108 sq. Wellingtons in Action over Fayid in 1942 used to drop a mix of 500lb. tail fused H.E., 250lb. nose fused H.E., and one 250lb. "extension red" - the "extension red" designating an extended nose rod attached to the nose fuze, aimed at producing a (slight) air-burst effect. (BTW, on British bombs, delay pistols were often painted red, but were generally Tail fuzes)

Last edited:
Although I've never been able to find a good quality close up photograph of this arrangment, I'm pretty sure that the rod was screwed onto the male thread on the pressure plate of the No 27 or No 42 Nose Pistol; the No 42 certainly had one when it was installed in the 60 lb Infantry Training Bomb. Both the No 27 and No 42 were used in a number of GP and MC bombs.

If any one has any definitive information on this arrangment I'd very much like to see it.

Regards

eodda