What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Canadian Mk V 40mm Bofors case?

Darkman

A collector friend has several WW2 era Canadian Mk V 40mm Bofors cases and would like to know if anyone can provide more information about them.

They appear to be British/Commonwealth Mk IV cases, but fitted with US type pressed in primers.

Headstamp details are: 40mm V, RM/C, 1943. Primer details on each case are: M23A2 and M28B2

Was this some type of Canadian design to use surplus US made primers or is there another explanation?
Would anyone have the detailed specification description for the design mark?

Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,I have just got one of these. I have had loads of Bofors and this is a little different. The crimp is not continuous. After info too. Cheers Tig.pics attatchedView attachment 63968

Hi Tig,

Yep that case you have is identical to the ones my friend Ron has, even down to the primer number M23A2.

I didn't take any notice whether his cases had the segmented crimp like yours though. This type of crimp is common here (in Aus) as most of the later 1970s to 1990s naval cases use that style. (Australia still used L60 Bofors until quite recently and you find cases with dates in the 1990s.)

Hopefully one of our Canadian members will be able to shed some light.

Cheers,

Graeme

Thanks for the info Graeme,interesting that Oz used the L60 so late,but with modern ammo and gun prediction its still a good weapon. Have you any pics of Australian Bofors headstamps you can post(and 2pdr ones),and who was supplying the ammo in the 90s? There is little info on colonial ammo and weapons here in the uk.Cheers Tig.

Hi Tig,

I don't have any late Bofors cases to photograph (I put them down again quickly at shows) as they don't interest me. The latest I have seen is 1993. All of the later cases I have seen are Mk IVs and all marked "MF" for the Munitions Factory at Gordon St in Footscray, Melbourne.

The nearby Maribrynong Ordnance Factories produced 40mm Bofors, 25 Pdrs and 3.7" AA guns during WW2. Many Bofors and other guns were also made in South Australia (Elizabeth I think.)

Land service L60s became obsolete in the Australian Army long before the Naval versions. Would you believe that the Australian Navy used L60s (designated "40/60s") until 2007! The last patrol boats fitted with L60s was decommissioned in 2007. http://www.navy.gov.au/Last_blast_for_Bofors They obviously had large stocks of the 1990s ammo left over, as it sounds like they had fun shooting off the remaining rounds.

I have no 2 Pdr cases, but the wartime ones I have seen have maker codes of "MC" for the Finsbury Ordnance Factory in South Australia and "MD" for the Derwent, Tasmania OF. These makers also produced much of our WW2 Bofors production and are about the only maker codes you see on wartime Bofors cases made here. Funnily enough the most common WW2 made Bofors cases you do see here are UK and Canadian made cases, "RLB" Birtley, "ECC" E. Curran Cardiff, "AG/C" Alumimium Goods, Canada, "PP/C" Pedlar People, Canada etc. You don't see the Australian makers on 40mm cases before 1942 so I suspect we didn't get our own 40mm production going until then. You do see earlier 18/25 Pdr, 3.7" AA etc, but not 40mm Bofors before 1942.

A friend has a number of 2 Pdrs (both tank & Vickers) but from memory most are UK makers. I will check with him on any Australian makers other tham MC & MD, but it will take a while.

Cheers,

Graeme

These Mk V Bofors cases appear to be exclusively of Canadian development/manufacture.
Can any Canadian member shed any light at all on them?

Cheers,

Graeme

Canadian Mk V and Australian made 2 pds and Bofors

Here is a photo of Ron's Canadian Mk V Bofors headstamp.

In a few days I will be posting a number of photos and information on Australian 2 Pdr makers and Australian Bofors rounds/headstamps supplied by Ron. (I will start new threads for these.)

Also in the interests of accuracy I must correct a previous error I made in this thread relating to Australian 2 Pdr makers - "MC" Finsbury, South Australia and "MD" Derwent, Tasmania did not make 2 pdr cases at any time - I am confusing this with 40mm Bofors which they made. The only Australian 2 pdr maker known is "MF" Munitions Footscray, Victoria (cases known so far from 1931 - 1943).

Cheers,

Graeme

Attachments

• P1030324.jpg
    P1030324.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 66
Hi Graeme,thank you for the info in the previous posts,the gen on ammo manufacturers is very helpful. I have been collecting 2pdr ammo for years,and have been gathering notes on uk production at the same time. It makes sense to find out more about L60 Bofors as well,and commonwealth production of 2pdr and Bofors ammo. Look forwards to any more info you can come up with. Cheers Tig.

Whilst sorting some stuff the other day I had some L60 Bofors bits to hand,when the Mk V case was described previously we came to a dead end on its usage. To add to the confusion I noticed the difference in the cannelure between the mkv and the standard shell/case. the MKV case shows its crimp in a totally different place than the standard round. Would this fit a US projectile? OR a different special load. Any more info appreciated.View attachment 75887

I only have one Canadian RM/C 40mm Bofors on hand and its a Mk 3, 1944. Screw in primer (missing), but seems to have both continuous crimping and also signs of the segmented deeper style crimping also like yours. Sorry no info for the Mk 5. I can only tell you that RM/C (Robert Mitchell company, St Laurent, Quebec) was the largest producer of casings in Canada during WW2. Quite common casings. I have other RM/C cases in 25 pdr, and others I'm sure.