What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Chemical Mine 1942

Gspragge

Premium Member
A friend of mine (sorry) had one of these a few years back which I sold for him. The same guy that had the previous one had another which I obtained. This one is not repainted and has some of the original stencil left. These are a galvanized milk can sort of thing and paint doesn't stick that well and I doubt these were ever anything but white for training purposes. The top unscrews on it to reveal nothing. One of the wilder ww2 items. If interested contact me.

Attachments

• IMG_0002.jpg
    IMG_0002.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0003.jpg
    IMG_0003.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 57
Mine chemical No1 Mk1
Height...20inches
width....11.25inches
Filling....contains 3.75galls/47lb of chemical agent,the neck contains the burster charge
Fuzing...Match composition head and fuze electric no14
Filled weight...60lbs

Attachments

• chemical mine no1 mk1.jpg
    chemical mine no1 mk1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 56
  • P1000866.jpg
    P1000866.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 63
This one is pretty good and I hope a BOCN member would like it before I try ebay or maybe GB and go through all that nonsense.

One of the handles has a broad arrow stamp on it.

Attachments

• IMG_0001 5.jpg
    IMG_0001 5.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 49
Last edited:
Never knew that we had such a device. What type of chemical would have been used? some of the WW1 type chemicals ie mustard gas etc.

Of all the countries that had CW programs, the UK developed the largest range of devices to deliver agent. Everything from a range of grenades through to 1500lb spray tanks. They had some strange devices such as the squirt, (a cyanide filled sprayer similar to a fire extinguisher designed for use against tanks) and the flying cow (a 400lb bomb/spray tank that threw mustard everywhere as it fell from the aircraft). The No1 chemical mine was filled with mustard and designed as a contamination device, leave a few of these in a position you plan to vacate and then fire them once you leave.
We very rarely found complete examples of these, because the thin steel rusted away.

Pete