What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww2 german 20mm flack

dogdog

Hi All
I picked these two up at the stoneligh show on sunday.
one is the standard wooden topped drill in card tube it seems to be made from eather bright or chromed steel with some sort of varnish coating.
the other was very dirty when i picked it up and the head stamps were covered up with dirt. i thought that it was post war swiss but upon cleaning it is a ww2 german case? is this a standard german drill or is it a re worked case done post war? i have never seen one of these before so any help would be good.
the case is steel with some sort of parkarized finish i think and it is filled with red plastic & sports a turned alloy head.
they were both 15 each not too bad i though
Andy

Attachments

• tall ships 179.jpg
    tall ships 179.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 63
  • tall ships 182.jpg
    tall ships 182.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 50
  • tall ships 185.jpg
    tall ships 185.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 65
  • tall ships 184.jpg
    tall ships 184.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 55
The steel cased dummy is a Yugoslav post war production utilizing German cases.

Are you sure that the wood bulletted item is a drill round? It looks like the standard 20mm blank to me.

Regards
TonyE

Think you are right TonyE,I have one of these and was obtained as a practice round(still looking for another wood bullet for one of these!) and has a normal primer(unfired) in it,both are copperwashed steel cases

Tony

Last edited:
Are you sure that the wood bulletted item is a drill round? It looks like the standard 20mm blank to me.

Regards
TonyE
Hi TontE i was sure now not so i thought that the ring around the middle of the case and the wooden proj ment it was a drill i didnt know of a wooden bulleted blank for the flack38 but i am no expert. thre case is not coppered it has some kind ov varnish over the top and is a little tacky to the touch. happy to be but right if anyone out there is sure.
Andy

Hi Dogdog,
You did well to pick those up, as TonyE has said quite correctly the case with the knurled ring around it is a 2cm Blank and not a drill round. nice to see that you got a transit tube with it as well.
Best regards Weasel.

Hi Weasel
oh s**t never mind one for the swaps box i only collect drill rounds.
i was so pleased with myself as well if anyone wants to swap a fine ww2 german blank for a nice drill round drop me a PM.
Andy
I still like the other one though i like the idea of things being re-used adds to the history for me.
Andy