What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ww2 raf practice bombs

newns

HI gentlemen, I have aquired 6 practice bombs, 1x 8.5lber and 5x 10 lbers. All were recovered from an old bombing range in Yorkshire. The tail units have rusted away and I am in the process of constucting new ones. I have been informed that all where coloured white with half inch bands on the tails indicating either flash or smoke. Red for flash and brown for smoke. Can anyone confirm these details?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Danny

It depends on the Mark of bomb! US Navy publication OP 1665 'British Explosive Ordnance' (1946) states that the 8 1/2 lb Mks. I, II & III Smoke Break-up PBs were white overall with 2 x 1/2 inch Green bands 1/2 inch apart around the tail cone to denote a (white) smoke filling. The RAF AP 1661B 'Bombs' (to Amendment List 131 - Dec 1945) confirms this and also states that the 8.5 lb Flame Break-up PB Mk. III was white overall with a 1/2 inch red band around the nose and the tail was painted red with the word 'FLAME' stencilled on it (colour unknown). As for the 10 lb PB, OP1665 states that the Mks I, II & III were the same as the 8.5 lb PB above; AP1661B states the following: the 10 lb MK. I Smoke is as stated in OP1665; the 10 lb Flash Mks. I & III had a red ring around the nose and 2 x 1/2 inch black bands around the tail cone; the 10 lb Brown Smoke Mk. III had a red nose ring and 2 x 1/2 green bands around the tail cone plus a brown 'worm' 2 inches long aft of the suspension lug; and the 10 lb Flame Mk. IV is as the 8.5 lb Flame above.

Clear isn't it?!!!

Regards

Dave aka eodda