What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Russian 152mm Case

Vasco Da Gama

Pictured is what I think is a 1939 dated Russian 152mm case from one of the numerous 152mm gun-howitzers in use at the time. It is shown alongside a German sFH-18 15cm case for comparison. The Russian case measures 545mm with a rim diameter of 170mm, which fits with the postwar M55 gun. However, I am sure of the 1939 date as it is stamped on both the case and primer. Could anybody offer a view as to which WW2 howitzer used this case?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 54
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 39
According to Finnish 1944 dated manual the case is for Russian 152mm howizer model 34 and 37. Russians appear to have several lengths of 152mm cases for different howizers pre WW2.

Last edited:
Thanks Tmine, I am struggling with this one as many of the early versions of 152mm howitzers were upgraded and I cannot work out at which point the 545mm case entered the fight. I am reasonably confident that the last 2 wartime guns Model 1938 and 1943 used this case. It would be sensible to develop the 1955 gun to use ammunition that was left over from WW2 unless you really did need to change.

Yes Vasco, According to the same manual some other caliber Russian guns used simultaneously different lenghts of cases, depending on if total powder charge was all packed in case, or partially outside the case. There are so many variations.