What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 small arms ammo

YanTaylor

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know a web site that gives you the total weight of small arms rounds?
You can find the bullet weight easy enough but not the overall weight.

For example I have the Dutch M95 rifle firing a 6.5x53R round with a total weight of 22.65g

But the Italian Carcano mod. 38 fired a 7.35x51R round but the total weight has so far eluded me.

Regards
Yan

For most of calibers they have used different bullets ( weight ), different powder charges ( weight ), as well as depending on case manufacturer weight of empty case differ.

Thus there is never one answer to your question.

Undoubtedly it's a rimless ...
Medium weight is 19.82 grams, but the range is between 19.67 and 19.95 grams, depending on (mainly) by the cases used.

Regards
stecol

Thank you guys, I will remove the R.

An old chap in work brought me in a .50 round that his father got whilst serving in Burma 1945, he said that it came from either a Spitfire or a P38, it is still live and has no colours on it.

Yan.

Just checked out some data I have on the Beretta 38A and the 9x19 [FONT=&quot]Glisenti, the data has 8.03g for the complete round which sounds wrong to me.[/FONT]

Thank you guys, I will remove the R.

An old chap in work brought me in a .50 round that his father got whilst serving in Burma 1945, he said that it came from either a Spitfire or a P38, it is still live and has no colours on it.

Yan.

Just a word of warning: A live .50 round is illegal in the UK without the correct firearms certificate.

By the looks of the bullet it has indentations as if the previous owner had taken out the powder, I only received the round two weeks ago and I am searching for a local collector to donate.

But thanks for your concern.

Yan.

I am happy to say that the round in not live, as the previous owner claimed, I took it to a chap who is ex-army and he said that the powder had been taken out.
It is going to a new home later this week.

Yan.

Last edited:
Are you able to remove the projectile? Don't assume it isn't live unless you can see inside the case.

Hi Falcon, the person who checked it out reckons the bullet has been previously removed, it goes to its new home on Wednesday.

Yan.

Don't assume that anything is inert unless you are able to see inside it yourself. Because someone reckons so is not good enough in the eyes of the police or courts.

Are you able to post a photo of the round?

A round of ammunition isn't necessarily inert just because the propellant powder has been removed.
Projectiles can contain incendiary or tracer compounds, white phosphorus, tear gas, high explosives and lots of other nasty stuff.

A .50 BMG projectile is large enough to hold a lot of toxic, flammable or explosive material.

I took it to a chap who is ex-army and he said that the powder had been taken out.
I'm not saying the the guy is incompetent to make such a judgement, but merely being "ex army" doesn't mean that someone is an automatic expert on ammunition.