What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Soviet WPG-RG-42V Grenade Shaped Charge

Kilroy was Here

Hi, some pics of a new one for my collection. I have 2 others of these, but they are not marked like these, and you cannot look inside them. These were not interted the best may, and they are a little rough looking, but you can look inside now.

The word in Russian on the outside of both translates to "Tolite" which is the type of explosive they were filled with. A type of TNT from what I have found out. You can see the shape charge "cone" at the bottom. These grenades were originally a rod rifle grenade that were converted for use as hand grenades. both these came with shipping plugs. They would have used the UZRG fuze, or also could have used a Kovesnikov. They would work with a slight bending of the handle, I checked. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I have seen no pictures of them in use with fuzes, but have a Russian book that shows them also. An interesting grenade variant you do not see often. enjoy!

Regards, Steve
"Dr. Ruby"

Attachments

• PC280008.jpg
    PC280008.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 68
  • PC280006.jpg
    PC280006.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 60
  • PC280010.jpg
    PC280010.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 69
  • PC280005.jpg
    PC280005.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 57
  • PC210003.jpg
    PC210003.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 68
Tolite

Tolite is the french denomination of TNT. Every land who makes is own TNT give his own denomination, ... years ago !
In this time, France was a great appro for Rusland.

Ha steve

Hi, some pics of a new one for my collection. I have 2 others of these, but they are not marked like these, and you cannot look inside them. These were not interted the best may, and they are a little rough looking, but you can look inside now.

The word in Russian on the outside of both translates to "Tolite" which is the type of explosive they were filled with. A type of TNT from what I have found out. You can see the shape charge "cone" at the bottom. These grenades were originally a rod rifle grenade that were converted for use as hand grenades. both these came with shipping plugs. They would have used the UZRG fuze, or also could have used a Kovesnikov. They would work with a slight bending of the handle, I checked. :tinysmile_twink_t2:

I have seen no pictures of them in use with fuzes, but have a Russian book that shows them also. An interesting grenade variant you do not see often. enjoy!

Regards, Steve
"Dr. Ruby"
Hello Steve,Those are really nice,your getting in to those Russians pretty heavey.I just picked up a nice RPG40,I was really happy to find one.Oh yea those books come in handy some time.
Vinny :tinysmile_classes_t:tinysmile_classes_t

You are lucky man Steve! I havn't this grenade in collect... :(
This grenade had a really factory name "RG-42V".
Grenade "RG-42V" was made from parts of rifle grenade "VPG(S)-41" by designer Serduk. Look in my diagram gallery...and Lex Peverelli website..
:)

Eugene.

P.S. Your photos Steve i'm steal... :)

Last edited:
Steve! Give me photo internal view of central tube for detonator... If it's really was..
Thanks a lot for photo's!!

On your third photo Steve... safety pin with ring not original. On Koveshnikov's fuzes was used a soldered ring from brass! On your Kovesh fuze is a ring from French or Polish fuzes..or as variant from UZRG (you can measure your UZRG ring's...)
Cheers !

Eugene.

It's my model of rare "RG-42" with webbing on body from Pskov region.
Body of this grenade made from parts "VPG(S)-41" ..
When "VPGS" was take out of production stay a many parts..

Attachments

• variety Rg42 with webbing.jpg
    variety Rg42 with webbing.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 23
On your third photo Steve... safety pin with ring not original. On Koveshnikov's fuzes was used a soldered ring from brass! On your Kovesh fuze is a ring from French or Polish fuzes..or as variant from UZRG (you can measure your UZRG ring's...)
Cheers !

Eugene.

Ha!! Good eye Eugene. I have some original soldered Kovesh pull rings. I just grabbed a fuze for the pictures!! :D Also many Kovesh "pins" are made from brass too!! I have a few of these also. I will correct this problem Eugene!!! I like to have all my grenades correct also!! :nerd:

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Notice:
On grenade marking: "тротил 11-44" - ''TNT, factory #11, year - 44".

This is excellent info Eugene, Thanks!! Factory 11, very good. Do you know where factory 11 was located?

This is what I had thought also... that the "11" was NOT a month date (November=11), but a "Factory code"

The reason I had thought this also is that I have 2 RGD-33 stamped with "11-40" & "11-41" This is all I have ever seen so far on RGD-33's, and now these 2 RG-42V's I show have the same "11" also.

This is strange that all grenades had the same 11, so I thought it must be a Factory code, but no confirmation was given by others...until you.

Thank you Eugene for clearing this up, and confirming it is a factory code, not a date!! Very Good! :D

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Tolite is the french denomination of TNT. Every land who makes is own TNT give his own denomination, ... years ago !
In this time, France was a great appro for Rusland.

Hi Yoda, thank you. This is interesting information, it does indeed sound French...."Tolite"

A good Latvian friend who speaks Russian translated it for me.

Interesting the way the French supplied things for the Russians...F1 bodies etc.

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Last edited:
You are lucky man Steve! I havn't this grenade in collect... :(
This grenade had a really factory name "RG-42V".
Grenade "RG-42V" was made from parts of rifle grenade "VPG(S)-41" by designer Serduk. Look in my diagram gallery...and Lex Peverelli website..

Eugene.

P.S. Your photos Steve i'm steal... :)

Ha!! If you "Steal" my Photos Eugene, Please give me credit for them when you use them. I have read every single page of Lex's website many times. He is a good friend of mine. I have seen before the WPG--RG-42V you have directed me to on his site. :nerd:

I was going to use watermarks for all my photos I post, but.....I do not, it ruins the photos sometimes. I trust other collectors will give credit for my photos. I send many photos to Lex, and they are the ones that are from "DR.Ruby. I do not mind sharing my collection with other sammlers.

I will get more photos for you......here look, is this what you need, the detonator tube? sorry for fuzzy pic, I did not take this photo.

Also a photo of my other 2 RG-42V grenades. All 3 I have now are slightly different sizes.

Eugene, here look....you can be lucky owner of one also!! I will make you a better deal, maybe we can trade items also. Let me know.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=153045448

Regards, Steve
"Dr.Ruby"

Attachments

• IMG_5036.jpg
    IMG_5036.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_5040.jpg
    IMG_5040.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 17
  • P9130006.jpg
    P9130006.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 26
  • P9130004.jpg
    P9130004.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 17
  • P9130003.jpg
    P9130003.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 19
Thank's Steve... I have a more holiday's now.. all money fly away... :)
All your and other BOCN friends photos i take for me and Boris only (and for book..) with signed of photo author..

Last edited:
As version, factory #11 "Shtampozavod" was in Ufa (munitions PTAB-2.5-1.5 bombs, RG-42, RG-41, RGD-33 hand-grenades, UZRG fuses) started in 1941 and finished in 1945 year.
In Russia in war time was a many factories with number #11...

Cheers!

Eugene.

Thank's Steve... I have a more holiday's now.. all money fly away... :)
All your and other BOCN friends photos i take for me and Boris only (and for book..) with signed of photo author..

*****Hi Eugene, OK, I thought I would show you the listing just in case you were interested to add another new grenade to your collection!! :tinysmile_twink_t: OK, signed of photo author. This is good, thank you.

As version, factory #11 "Shtampozavod" was in Ufa (munitions PTAB-2.5-1.5 bombs, RG-42, RG-41, RGD-33 hand-grenades, UZRG fuses) started in 1941 and finished in 1945 year.
In Russia in war time was a many factories with number #11...

******Very Good, this is excellent information. I will keep this information about #11 "Shtampozavod" factories. I have a RG-42 that has a "U" or "n" on top, here look.......is this same factory #11? I also have a RGD33 with this marking.

*****I know this photo shows a post war fuze on the grenade, but it is a WW2 grenade body, and I have put a correct WW2 UZRG on it now. I will be taking photos of all my RG-42 soon. I have 5 different WW2 so far.

Regards, Steve

Cheers!

Eugene.

Attachments

• RG-42 "U".jpg
    RG-42 "U".jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14