What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WW2 Trip Wire

BMG50

Premium Member
Any one know what the type of trip wire was used by the Germans during the war. I have a feeling that it was thin gauge black wire as used on trip wire sets about 20 years ago but reading certain books and manuals there's also mention of fine cord as used on US trip wire sets or was there a mixture or what ever was to hand?

I have original spools of German trip wire for S.Mi.35 and Alarmleuchtzeichen from their transit packages. They both are 1mm diameter very soft mild steel wire.
In fuze safety pins usually are short pieces of cotton or rather linen cord but I assume they were not ment as trip wire.

Sounds like the type of wire is similar to the British trip wire found on trip wire sets of the 50s to the 80s, very thin back metal wire. Having a closer look at US trip wire colours in yellow and brown i thought these were of a cotton material but they are metal as well.

Due to rust I can no longer see original color of my trip wires but I assume it was simply black - from tempering process to make it soft.

Exactly similar wire can be purchased today for binding concrete reinforcing steel rods together - unfortunately it's only in 0,4 meter bits.

Some post war British trip wires were made from Invar.

Invar is a Nickel Iron alloy which has a extremely low coefficient of expansion so once the trip wires are set up they do not change their tension as they heat up in the sun.