What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI 50mm

orcutteod

Enclosed are pictures of what I think is a US or British 50x370 mm. The rim diameter is 2.520 or about 63mm the marking are so faint on the bottom of the shell that I can't make them out.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 137
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    305.8 KB · Views: 103
Looks like an American 6pr, but the case seems rather long? There ought to be
markings on the bottom of the projectile and Navy marks on the band if Navel.
Could also be Army Coastal Artillery.

Thanks for the replies their are no visible markings on the drive band and at the moment I'm having trouble removing the projectile. So I'm going to fabricate a tool to remove the projectile and let you know what I find. It's looking like this round is for a Naval deck gun that was used during the late 1800's, early 1900's.
Photograph of British QF 3 pounder Hotchkiss fixed round with steel shell, circa. 1898. The single white band round the shell nose denotes "Steel Shell". Single red band below white band : denotes shell has been filled. N is visible in red, above driving band : denotes shell for Naval use. See Image:QF 3pdr Cartridge 1886 Base.JPG for cartridge base markings. For use with the following guns : QF 3 pounder Hotchkiss QF 3 pounder Nordenfelt

Attachments

• QF_3_pounder_Round_with_Steel_Shell.jpg
    QF_3_pounder_Round_with_Steel_Shell.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
3 Pdr projectiles are 47mm diameter. It has a Nordenfelt style rotating band (British Design). Kind of a mystery that it has no headstamp. It might have been a dealer sample, to show that any country could have their headstamp on the case, or it left the factory under an overcoat.

Since there isn't a primer, you can look into the case to see if the projectile is fuzed. You can stand the projectile on end and squirt some penetrating oil into the case, so it soaks around the projectile to free it up. If the projectile isn't fuzed, you can use a piece of pipe like an inertial bullet puller, putting the round into the pipe, so the case rim catches on the end of the pipe. Put some padding in the pipe, and with the round pointing down, rap the bottom open end of the pipe on a hard surface. The projectile will gravity/inertia out. It might take a few raps.

Last edited:
excellent surviving paint - hard to find them like that. These were in use through ww2 as well.
you might find some stampings on the body, two figure date, II if mk2 , might be hard to see.
It looks like this with a fuze and if there is one you are very lucky ~

Attachments

• IMG_0001.jpg
    IMG_0001.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
Using a fiber optic light I determine that the base fuse has been removed and than sprayed Kroil through the primer pocket and let it set up side down for a day. I than used a steel rod and used it as a ramrod through the primer pocket to remove the projectile. Enclosed is a picture of the base of the projectile not much markings left due to corrosion. I think I see a date and MFG Co and that's it.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 35
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    289.5 KB · Views: 42
OK, I'm confused. You originally show a plain rusty 3 Pdr round with no headstamp. Then you show a different round with paint and a Nordenfelt band. Then you show a cleaned up version of the rusty one.

Sent from my NSA/FBI tapped iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The one with the paint is off the internet proving it is indeed a 3 pounder or 47mm sorry for any confusion.