What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI 75 or what?

Pea Shooter

Hello;
I have had the round for several years and really have no idea what it is? It is 10 7/8" tall, 2 7/8'' at the base, and the hole in the nose is 1 3/4''. On the copper compression ring is engraved " They shall beat their swords into plow shares, and their spears into pruning hooks: Nation shall not lift up against Nation, neither shall they learn War anymore." I have seen several of these rounds with one made into a lamp. I would like to know what might be the country of origin, and if you might know of what size fuse tip might fit? Thank you, VaughnIMG_0461.jpgIMG_0462.jpgIMG_0458.jpg

Last edited:
A few observations. I'm thinking someone had once wanted to make it into a lamp, or it was mounted to a display board by the base. That would be the reason for the hole through the base. The groove on the base, is where the brass cover plate would have been crimped, that was added to U.S. manufactured and issued HE projectiles, to prevent hot propellant gasses from finding a hole through the base of a projectile, that could result from poor manufacturing. I've never seen a step machined on the edge of a fuzewell before. Maybe it was something done to make it into a lamp or something else, but it isn't a required part of any projectile. By the size of the rotating band, it looks to be 75mm, but your measurment of 2-7/8" converts over to 73mm. You need to measure it accurately at the widest part. It could be a 3 inch projectile (76mm). It is WWI era, used into the beginning of WWII.

Thank you, HAZORD. No one has ever gave me any info on the round. Even with the things you mentioned, do you think it started out as a military projectile? What would the base measure if it was a 75? Thank you, Vaughn

It is certainly a military high explosive (HE) projectile as Hazord has described. Over the years people have made ordnance souvenirs into a great variety of lamps and knick-knacks. Use the search function for "lamp" and you will see threads dedictated to just that. Don't measure the base, measure the diameter just above the rotating (copper) band. Diameter should be 75mm at that point.

Hi all.

I`m a new member here and was meaning to post on the introduction forum first, but then while browsing this mind bendingly huge mine of information I came across this post. I decided to make my introduction here, mainly because I was scared I probably wouldn`t find the post again after introducing myself :)

The shell you have here is a 75mm HE French-American round from ww1. It was indeed converted into a lamp, by a company called Snead and co. based in Jersey city N.J. The lamps were made from genuine government French-American 75mm shells saved from the Morgan explosion according to the label on the bottom. It was termed "75mm victory lamp" If you look closely at the shell body, the steel not the driving band, you should also find "VICTORY NOV 11, 1918 75 M/M SHELL" stamped there. This is often fairly faint if the shell has been over loved since 1918.

I have two of these in my collection. One of them is just the shell as you have, but the other is totally complete, with the brass base, paper label, original light fitting and a German stahlhelm fitted as a shade! I don`t think the helmet is standard, probably a vet bring back fit after the war.

For a fuse, you will also need the adapter ring and I believe they were slightly different from standard French adapters?

I hope this has helped. I will post some pics of the complete lamp when I actually work out how to do it!!

Once again sorry for jumping this thread as an introduction..I will go and introduce myself properly now

Andy

Thank you Andy. This gives me more information on the round. I was at a gun show recently, and I saw two of these lamps. I have been looking for a fuse, but with no luck. Oh well keep trying. Thanks again, Vaughn