What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI 76mm Russian HE...

shelldude

Because of a recent thread from Eodtek regarding WWI Russian projectiles, I decided so show an odd duck that I've had for a while now. It's an inert WWI Russian HE with a combination Russian Booster and U.S. Mk. V PD fuze. Please note the VERY AGGRESSIVE single crimping grove that is associated with these shells. The projectile has never been separated from the casing.

Best regards,

Randall

Attachments

• P1010006.JPG
    P1010006.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 119
  • P1010008.JPG
    P1010008.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 111
  • P1010007.JPG
    P1010007.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 118
  • P1010009.JPG
    P1010009.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 140
Very nice! Aggressive would be an understatement. It almost looks like they were trying to cut the case.

This kind of crimping makes me think it has been made to a training dummy round?

Hello Tmine35,

Because the U.S. manufactured so many of these for export to Russia during WWI, the Russian HE and shrapnel 76mm can still be found occasionally over here. The half dozen or so unaltered Russian shells that I've seen have all had this deep crimp and I don't recall any being a training or dummy specimen.

Best regards,

Randall

Hi Shelldude,
Finnish army used these guns and ammo left behind by Russians in 1918 and caprured during WW2 until 1970's. Some old cases seem to have near 10 reload marks on base.
However the cartridge loads made here vere hardly crimped at all, or only a very light crimp.
This heavy crimp is interesting as I'm quite sure that sometimes the case must cut at crimp when firing.

Hello Tmine35,

You're absolutely correct. I've been able to locate two excellent references describing in detail the manufacturing process of the WWI Russian 3-inch artillery ammunition but have never found an explanation for the extreme stoutness of the crimping grove.

Best regards,

Randall