What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI cartridge I.D. please

I was recently given some WWI cartridges by another BOCN member. Now keep in mind that I know absolutely nothing about smaller cartridges (figured I better call it a cartridge as I know at least that much!!). The headstamp I drew is from my favorite one. I will post up others as I sort them out as my eyesight leaves a bit to be desired. Anyway it is app. 1/2 inch across base. The casing is 2 1/8 inches long. The complete cartridge including projectile is right at 3 inches. I would guess it is British because of the arrow but don't know the caliber etc....Dano

Attachments

• Picture 712.jpg
    Picture 712.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 26
Hi Dano, i think you have a 303 round made by Dominion Arsenal Lindsay, Ontario Canada
but Tony E would know more.
Regards
Andy

Much appreciated Andy, I kinda figured it to be a .303 but as I mentioned I am cartridge inept. Thanks again....Dano

3 more

Wow, You guys did really well and quick too. Here are 3 more cartridges I got in same deal. I have an idea on one of them but not the other two, so would like to ask for your help again...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 714.jpg
    Picture 714.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 13
Headstamps

Leaving aside the top left for a moment, top right is a .303 made by Dominion Cartridge Company in Canada in 1916.

The lower round is a U.S. military .30-06 made at Lake City Ammunition Plant in 1954. (I presume it is not a .50 Browning)

Returning to the top left illustration. It is a badly struck headstamp and obviously incomplete. It looks like an early Canadian .303, made by the Dominion Arsenal. Does it have a pointed or round nosed bullet?

Regards
TonyE

Last edited:
Hi Dano, they look to me all Canadian first one i think is Dominion cartridge co second Dominion Arsenal and third could me a later Dominion Arsenal Lindsay but again Tony E would Know more.
Andy

Many thanks again gentlemen, I appreciate the information. TonyE, the top left is the only one that does not have a bullet as it is a casing only. Thanks again....Dano

Dominion Arsenal

It was probably a Mark VI round nosed ball round.

The latest date I have with the "D(arrow)C" headstamp is 1907 and by 1911 when the Mark VII spitzer bulleted round was introduced the headstamp had changed to "DAC".

Regards
TonyE

.303 Headstamp

Hi all,
Having looked through my headstamps, the latest D^C one I have is May '09. The next date I have is October '09, by which time it has changed to DA. It stayed as this until May 1910 (which was the last time they included the month in the headstamp) when it changed to DAC.

As others have said, this is either a poorly-struck headstamp, or a broken bunter. If it was clearly struck, I suppose there may be a very faint chance it might indicate some sort of special/experimental load (both RG and R^L over here sometimes ground bits off bunters to give odd headstamps for experimentals) but it is a very long shot.
Roger.