What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI German Torpedo Information

pkm594

Ordnance approved
Hi there,

I am looking for information on German WWI torpedoes, I would like some photographs and cutaways if possible especially the G6 variant.

The best English language source is "Naval Weapons of WW1" by Norman Friedman. There 6 and a half pages on German torpedoes: a couple of pages on tactics, then details of technical developments etc. Tables on 35cm, 45cm, 50cm and the H8 60cm. Also details on the development of the electric E/7 which inspired the G/7e of WWII.
Unfortunately I have no copy of this books but I but got these 4 pages from Friedman's book through Google Books (but no drawings in them) - Hope that it will help :))
334 German Torpedoes ww1.png336 German Torpedoes ww1.png338 German Torpedoes ww1.png339 German Torpedoes ww1.png

Last edited:
Here's an interesting video clip on the German WW1 torpedo that the Australian War Memorial (AWM) has:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BmxNp1h8pL0

I believe that it is now on display in the revamped WW1 Galleries and I have intentions of visiting the AWM in the near future - I'll post some pics once I get down there.

Last edited:
The National War Museum, La Valletta, Malta has a german WWI "G/6 AV" torpedo on display.

Last edited: