What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWI/WWII 75mm Gas shell

Lou

Just arrived in the mail,one ratty well overpainted gas shell!! Was wondering if someone would be able to help ID exactly the era and load types available by the Lot number?? Im going to give this one a restoration,when I have time,and would like to know what my options are?? Is there a site or info around about load types??

$(KGrHqUOKjcE0)(kC1QRBNd3UgrnTQ~~_3.jpg75mmWWI.jpg$(KGrHqIOKkQE1p5zCm(WBNd3Uo)(Ow~~_3.jpg

LOT G892-18 P/W Also has a fancy flaming bomb stamp,and also a crossed cannon stamp near the driving band. And midway between the driving band and nose,,, AP197-V-BE

Im in the process of stripping and taking care of the slight pitting and rust under the layers of paint and thats all the information Ive been able to find on the projectile. I did however find a real light trace of a single red stripe and the base coat of paint is grey.

This shell also has a solid,non welded bottom and tapered threads that measure at just about 1 1/2 inches at the very begining of the booster/adapter opening.

I just noticed this was my 420th post,teehee,,,,,

Last edited:
Lou,

Nice bullet!. Are the threads tapered in the mouth or are they straight. I'm thinking if it came with a wooden nose plug, that it is an HE projectile instead of chem. Just a thought. I will measure the hole size on a chem versus HE and post the info.

Lou,

I'm thinking if it came with a wooden nose plug, that it is an HE projectile instead of chem.

It should probably depend more on the base plate, smooth (smoke/CW) vs welded or with copper plate (HE). I don't remember seeing many complicated Lot numbers on WWI projectiles, seems like most of them started appearing in the 1930s?

P1010004.jpgP1010002.JPGP1010001.JPGP1010003.JPGHello Lou,

I'm unable to determine year of manufacture or load from the stamped inscriptions. From your description of the old paint, I'm thinking a load of chlorpicrin (see included paint scheme description). I've also included a photo of the chemical shells unique Mk. IV tapered pipe thread adapter & booster. The base color of the chemical shell regardless of agent was grey.

Best regards,

Randall

Thanks guys!!! And I found some other good info too. The restoration is in progress.

Anyone have a spare booster adapter and fuze??? Ha ha,ya right huh??

Lou,

I took measurements of the size of openings in the two different styles of 75mm projectiles. The hole in the gas projo is 1-1/2 inches across, whereas the HE projectile opening is just over 1-3/8 inches.