What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Barrage Balloon Bomb (US)

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Things seem to be a little slow this morning, so I'll throw out a photo of something not often seen.

I believe there was a post a while back that included the UK versions, but here is the US copy. Known as a WWII Barrage Balloon Bomb (B.B. Bomb), this was not an actual bomb, but a device connected to tethered balloons used for defence against low-flying aircraft.

The balloons were tethered by a thin cable, the BB bomb was connected part-way up the cable. An attacking aircraft would potentially snag the cable with a wing, separating a connector below the BB bomb. For this version, a small parachute would open from the can on the bottom, stabilising the bomb. As the aircraft continued onward the cable would run across the wing, rapidly pulling the bomb into the wing. Impact of the bomb's top ring against the aircraft wing would cause an explosive charge in the bomb to detonate (wooden block seen in the photo). A second version of the BB bomb replaced the smaller chute pack and explosive charge with a single larger parachute, it was described as giving a sudden 4-tons drag on one wing, causing the wing to separate or the aircraft to spin out of control.

These are seldom found in the US, and mine has only a T-number as a test item. Enough were made however, to justify a publication on their use, which I also have a copy of but don't have here with me and cannot include. Enjoy -

Attachments

• DSC_0043.jpg
    DSC_0043.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 71
Thanks Jack, I was looking for it but couldn't seem to find it earlier.