What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Experimental Skymarker Bombs

US-Subs

ORDNANCE APPROVED/Premium Member
Ordnance approved
Premium Member
Sorting through some photos, I came across these which I thought I would share, a couple of variations of US Skymarker bombs from WWII.

Skymarkers were used by lead bombers to mark targets for following aircraft. As I understand it, typically 50-75 might be dropped by a single aircraft.

For later versions it is referenced that FM (titanium tetrachloride/liquid smoke) was used. The versions shown below incorporated smoke grenades, and can be found in the storage area of the US Chemical Museum at Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri.

The first bomb (photos 1&2) is marked as "M87 - Skymarker". It used a combination of materials, with smoke grenades in a central tube. The second (last 4 photos) is marked as "Bomb, Colored Smoke, Red, Skymarker, E18R2. It is filled with smoke grenades and had a weighted nose.

Interesting about the second bomb is the grenade fuze initiators located in the tail of the bomb.

Attachments

• 100lb bomb, skymarker 2-1.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 2-1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 66
  • 100lb bomb, skymarker 2-2.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 2-2.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 83
  • 100lb bomb, skymarker 1-3.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 1-3.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 67
  • 100lb bomb, skymarker 1-2.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 1-2.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 100lb bomb, skymarker 1-1.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 1-1.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 68
  • 100lb bomb, skymarker 1-2a.jpg
    100lb bomb, skymarker 1-2a.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 68
So, was the M87 (the first 2 photos) a regular sand filled TP bomb that was converted over to the M87, since it has the blue paint, and shape of the TP bomb?

I don't know, I've seen some of the bombs in a couple of documents, but never had the time to do any serious research. I was looking for chem stuff and submunitions at the museum, took a few extra shots as always whenever I saw anything unusual or cool.

interesting objects, US-Subs, thanks for sharing.
these so called "Christmas trees" in the sky then were well hated, as they announced heavy bombardment.

interesting objects, US-Subs, thanks for sharing.
these so called "Christmas trees" in the sky then were well hated, as they announced heavy bombardment.

Im just reading all about them in the book called 'The Destruction of Dresden'. :(

waff

The so called "christmas trees" was the british skymarker flares with parachute. The USAAF used smoke bombs without parachutes.

Mossie