What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII German police helmet

I went to my favorite militaria store this morning, Alamo Military Collectibles in St. Louis MO. I picked up this WWII German Nazi police helmet. No decals but nice unrestored condition...Dano

Attachments

• Picture 257.jpg
    Picture 257.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 27
Hi dano,
Is this one called a 'Luftschutz' or similar? I always thought they were for the Fire Brigade? Nice pickup anyway :)

W

fire/police

Hi Waff, The Luftschutz is the air raid helmet gladiator style blue with decal on front. This one could be police or fire, but most likely police as the majority of fire helmets had the dip in the body squared off..Dano

helmets

and for the picture of the luftschutz or air raid (civil defense) helmet pic1, and again the fire brigade helmet was similar to the police helmet but the dip was generally although not always squared off instead of the combat style dip found on most police helmets. all were of thinner metal than the combat helmet and had 2 sets of air vent holes drilled on each side. Will look for pic of fire helmet..Dano

Attachments

• !BcqlY0QCGk~$(KGrHqQOKiwEq40HlNwTBK1f(mtfZw~~_35.jpg
    !BcqlY0QCGk~$(KGrHqQOKiwEq40HlNwTBK1f(mtfZw~~_35.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 7
now for the fire helmet

Hi Waff, here is your typical WWII German fire brigade helmet. Notice the squared off dip. Also these are sometimes found with a long leather neck protector to keep the embers off the nape..Dano

Attachments

• !BcjDtmwCGk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEqusu!TVJBK06yOR,Gg~~_35.jpg
    !BcjDtmwCGk~$(KGrHqYH-DwEqusu!TVJBK06yOR,Gg~~_35.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Thanks dano for the write ups and pics.
Somewhere in the pic files i have,there is a few shots of the one my mate got from his Uncle many moons ago. will have a gander for them

best

Waff

hey dano
have you thought about filling the holes,and repainting it with some nice decals...?

Hi Waff, here is your typical WWII German fire brigade helmet. Notice the squared off dip. Also these are sometimes found with a long leather neck protector to keep the embers off the nape..Dano

German police helmets were identical to fireman helmets.

I went to my favorite militaria store this morning, Alamo Military Collectibles in St. Louis MO. I picked up this WWII German Nazi police helmet. No decals but nice unrestored condition...Dano

Can i see a picture from the liner of this helmet.
Maybe ,a DRK helmet

Last edited:
my mistake

I was wrong on this one, as I have found out the square dip or flowing dip could be either fire or police, was going on old incorrect information. So as I now understand it either style dip could be fire or police. Just not that tuned in to WW2, and thanks for setting me straight.....Dano

Last edited: