What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII grenade launching device

raygr

Thought I post an item that I finally found. I have been looking for one for awhile as they are fairly scarce.
It's an original WWII M1 grenade projection adapter having four prongs, a solid fin, and regular slotted screws. Not the common M1A2 post war one with three prongs, a slotted/open fin and phillips screws I also show.
Here it is with the four WWII rifle grenade launchers I have. 2 carbine launchers, top one is the early screw head launcher, and two 1903 Springfield launchers along with a post war M1A1 launcher.
Ray

Attachments

• M1 grenade launcher-1.JPG
    M1 grenade launcher-1.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 41
  • grenade launchers-2.JPG
    grenade launchers-2.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 41
  • M1 grenade launcher-2.JPG
    M1 grenade launcher-2.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 38
  • M1 grenade launcher-3.JPG
    M1 grenade launcher-3.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 37
  • M1 grenade launcher-4.JPG
    M1 grenade launcher-4.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 37
Paul great website.
In answer to your question. There are no markings on it but I did see one that had markings with a 1944 date on it.
I see you have one listed as a M1A1 on your site and it still has a solid fin not like the slotted fin on the M1A2. Does it still have the four prongs and regular screws or did they go to the three prongs and phillip screws with the M1A1?
Just wondering what the difference is between the M1 and the M1A1, Ray

Feel free to correct me, here is what I have
The M1 used four claws and had no cup on the bottom and normally has a solid ring, but there was a later manufacture that had the later type rings.

The M1A1 used three claws and has a cup on the bottom and the solid ring made of three pieces

The M1A2 differs from the M1A1 in having the later type open ring made of a single piece.

on your initial post, you show an M1A2 that was actually converted from a later manufacture of the M1 adapter which explains the extra threaded holes around the top of the stabilizer tube. If memory serves the later manufacture of the M1 type adapter was for the Vietnam conflict and I expect virtually all were converted.

If you go to my website you will find a photo of the later version of the M1 in addition to others. http://members.shaw.ca/dwlynn/main/adapters.htm

Sgtlynn, your website shows and explains the differences between the projection adapters clearly, thank you, Can you show me the address to your home page. Ray

Last edited: