What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII Normandy bottom 8inch naval shell

dom 14

thanks to flak 18, whom replied to me that he also found shrapnells of 8inch allies naval gun inland (him in the areaof Falaise's road in the south of caen).
Myself, this bottom shell was found 14 miles inland on some German's mortars positions in a wood. Position which have been also bombed by many allies mortar
bombs (some phosphorus) there might have been Canadian's due allies have their psns opposite side the river Orne, 1 miles further. These german's psns well
concealed behind thick stones wall...
I thought i've promised the photos of the remains to BCON friends, these pics of remains i found this winter while metal detecting in the bocage, West and south of caen;
(dear friends of the BCON please find these pics in my members gallery dom 14)
all live ammunitions have gone to the bomb squad (12), bomb squad gave me a good advise in order i haven't injuied me with a mortar bomb, a fine piece,
but with many phosphorus left inside (grey-white) i was about to clean it with a tool. See pic in the water tin.

I learned myself it is good to always get good advises the bomb squad, live ammo and non-Id remains of the WWII are still sometimes dangerous.
See you BCON

any reply are welcome,

Last edited:
Being found that far inland might be because the US Army had 8" howitzers and guns. They could have fired these projectiles, not Navy guns on ships.

No, these are from Naval shells. There is still some paint on my fragments and it is yellow, not the green the US was using at this time. Where I found my fragments was well within reach of the Navy standing off shore. The Northamptonshire Yeomanry mention receiving Naval gunfire whilst they were in the area of the Caen- Falaise road.

yes i first thought these were howitzers because british heavy regiment received some from the us, but there's no proof on the web it is before the battle of the Rhine
they get those 8inch, so as flak 18 found remains and get a testimony, these shall be naval firing,

that is just the case it just it should have being before the allies arrived in the area (hill 112-Verrires ridge), because firing from so far
with your own troops 1 miles around, shan't be so cautious, due to inaccurate targeting? The Canadians past south east of caen the 19th july,
and british arrived south west of Caen(where i found from the 22th july to 4th august), all these allies were around the place i found this bottom of 8inch.
What is interesting that is there nice mortar pit in the area. I dunno if these are canadians or german (a square with some steps)???

Thanks you highlandotter being interested in it and hello falk18.

Last edited:
Other wise i found 700meter away a piece of a very large copper belt of a shell, that is true i noticed the US 8inch howitzer shells have such large copper belt, maybe also
the naval shell, i couldn't find a pic of the naval shell this size, myself i can't have a clear opinion i follow flak 18 because road of Falais is deeper inland, big guns could fire far.
myself i dunno if there were naval firing on Hill 112 (Maltot-Evrecy). The us guns were as far as Caumont l'evente which is really far away...