What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WWII SOC Pocket Incendiary...

WWIIBuff

I was searching the internet for information on the various incendiary sabotage devices used by the SOE during WWII, but surprisingly, I could not find anything.

Does anyone have photos, documents, or any other information they can post about the different devices that were used?

I've attached pictures of an example from my collection. Based on what I've read in the wonderful book "SOE Equipment Air Dropped In Europe 1940-45" by forum member Anders Thygesen and his co-author Michael Sode, I believe this to be a Mk.IIA.

Thanks

John

Attachments

• Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (1).jpg
    Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (1).jpg
    165.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (2).JPG
    Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (2).JPG
    222 KB · Views: 37
  • Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (3).JPG
    Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (3).JPG
    143.4 KB · Views: 34
  • Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (4).JPG
    Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (4).JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 32
This sketch is from the new 2nd Edition of Anders book. It is a reprint of a page from the WWII SOE Sabotage Pamphlet.

Attachments

• Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (15) From Anders book.jpg
    Incendiary, Pocket, Mk.II A (15) From Anders book.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 36
There are some very good books out there showing a SOE catalogue, worth searching for.

Yes, I have the book "Secret Agents Handbook" by Mark Seaman which shows page reprints from the original "Descriptive Catalogue Of Special Devices And Supplies" that was put out by The War Office. I have attached a scan of the corresponding page here. Unfortunately this does not give me some of the information I am looking for. As an example, what is the difference between the Mk.II A and the MK.II B.

Also it mentions that the Delay Mechanism is similar to that of the Switch No.10 Time Pencil, with various delay times available. But does not mention how it was determined which delay that particular incendiary had. From what I read in Anders book, I believe they may have had different color wooden safety splints in the slot above the ampoule. Since my example is deactivated, there isn't a wood splint included.

Lastly I am hoping someone has an example of the black Mk.I version that they can post pictures of.

Attachments

• Incendiary Pocket Mk.II (14) From Secret Agents Handbook.jpg
    Incendiary Pocket Mk.II (14) From Secret Agents Handbook.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
John,
I expect you know that you have set quite a task. There were about three dozen different devices with incendiary properties used, or nearly used, by the SOE and other special operations groups. My list of candidates goes something like:

1.Braddock Incendiary

2.Diesel Oil Incendiary
3.Directional Incendiary
4.Flash Grenade
5.Incendiary (M Flare)
6.Magnesium Incy 2 1/2 lb (L Flare)
7.Magnesium Dust Incendiary
8.Oil Nitrate Incendiary
9.Paraffin Incendiary (Tysule)
10.Petrol Incendiary & 'H' capsules
11.WP Gren No 77
12.Pocket Time Incy PR5
13.Potassium Chlorate & Sugar
14.Incendiary Thermit 1 1/4 lb
15.Bomb Thermit 2 1/2 lb
16.Bomb Tree Spigot Incendiary (Experimental)

17.Grenade SIP (No 76)
18.Flare Ground 15 min
(Signal with Incendiary properties became an RAF store)
19.Incendiary Ammunition (SAA)
20.Arrow Incendiary
21.Incendiary Block
22.Incendiary Grenade AP
23.Incendiary Leaves ( (adapted RAF Stores Razzle and Decker)
24.Incendiary 1 lb (ML Flare)
25.Incendiary 1 3/4 lb Mk II Firepot (converted RAF store)
26.Jet Thermit Bomb
27.Small Magnesium Incendiary
28.Incendiary Attache Case
29.Incendiary Briefcase
30.Incendiary Deedbox
31.Incendiary Suitcase
32.Incendiary Protected 33.Portable Safe (Welcase')
34.Cigarette Incendiary

Wow! No Bonnex, I did not realize how many different devices there were. I was mainly interested in the pocket incendiary, but was curious about what else was used as well. I guess it would be quite difficult to get pictures of each example, or details about them. Hopefully anyone who has examples can post pictures.

These are the Incendiaries I have in my collection. The pocket one is a bit demaged unfortunately but I do have the inside mechanism. The second is the Thermit 2 1/2 lbs bomb. And last is my replica of the Giant Tyesule Incendiary

Attachments

• IMG_20231003_201508.jpg
    IMG_20231003_201508.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231003_201343.jpg
    IMG_20231003_201343.jpg
    271.6 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20231003_201400.jpg
    IMG_20231003_201400.jpg
    272.2 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_20230611_195704.jpg
    IMG_20230611_195704.jpg
    563.4 KB · Views: 21
Yes, I have the book "Secret Agents Handbook" by Mark Seaman which shows page reprints from the original "Descriptive Catalogue Of Special Devices And Supplies" that was put out by The War Office. I have attached a scan of the corresponding page here. Unfortunately this does not give me some of the information I am looking for. As an example, what is the difference between the Mk.II A and the MK.II B.

Also it mentions that the Delay Mechanism is similar to that of the Switch No.10 Time Pencil, with various delay times available. But does not mention how it was determined which delay that particular incendiary had. From what I read in Anders book, I believe they may have had different color wooden safety splints in the slot above the ampoule. Since my example is deactivated, there isn't a wood splint included.A tin box with two Pocket Incendiaries Mk.IIA. The cellophane band is visible on the Pocket In...jpg
I do not know about the Mk.IIB, never heard of it, but the difference between the Mk.I and Mk.IIA is the construction of the tin box, the colour of the PTI and the wooden safety strip has been covered with cellophane. The two integral safety strips projecting from the bottom of the tin can be seen in the photo (See yellow circles).

The delay was indicated, as you write, by the coloured wooden safety strip. Notice the green wooden safety strip on the photo.
Pocket Time Incendiary Training instruction No.49..jpg